Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

superscooper18"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ampouternation. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: superscooper18"
    Posted: 11 April 2007 at 2:54am
Greetings and love to all members of the forum
i am a new member as u understood
many thanx for all the info provided here we appreciate a lot!

My question is what drivers do you recommend for the 18" Super Scooper?

many thanx
Bless

www.ampouternational.com
www.myspace.com/atikominus

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 5:51am
Originally posted by ampouternation. ampouternation. wrote:

My question is what drivers do you recommend for the 18" Super Scooper?

A lot of people say the V18-1000 is the guy in this scoop.

The below from the Superscooper designer and "Boss man" of this site, will help you chose something else.

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8273&KW=throat&PN=3

Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

Super Scooper 18

Mouth               3834 cm2

Throat               792  cm2

Horn Length      2.21 meters

Front Chamber  44 litres

Expo/Hypo M     0.6

Super Scooper 21

Mouth               4092 cm2

Throat               804  cm2

Horn Length      2.47 meters

Front Chamber  57 litres

Expo/Hypo M     0.6

From this thread, http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8956&PN=4

The V18-1000 will work better in scoops with smaller front chambers, thats the space behind the woofer, as the compliance is small.
<SNIP>
Again compliance on the V18-1200 is bigger than the V18-1000, but is still not massive like a Wembley Bline woofer. So the V18-1200 suits front chambers that are a bit bigger than the super scooper, but not as large as some scoops I've seen.

Its all about matching the compliance with the front chamber. Large compliance woofers work well with larger front chambers and will play lower, but will not be as loud as low compliance woofers in scoops with smaller front chambers. These scoops will not play as low but will be loud, hard and in ya face. All depends on how many scoops you are going to use. If its only ever 3 or 4 in a stack then go with a larger front chamber and high compliance woofer. If you always use 6 or more in a stack then use a small front chamber with low compliance woofer as having a lot of scoops will slow down the transient response and drop the high corner frequency. So scoops that are a bit too fast and play high well are the ones you need if you plan on using lots all the time.

<SNIP>

From same thread, different post

Another rule of thumb with scoops and compliance is try to make the front chamber 4 times less than the Vas. So if the woofer has a Vas of 200 litres then make the front chamber 50 litres. Woofers with a high Vas of around 400 need a front chamber of around 100 litres to work well.

The problem with large front chambers is that the horn path is shorter for a given cabinet size. This tends to make the woffer uncouple at a higher frequency and thorw will not be as far as with a small front chamber longer horn. Also try and aim for a driver resonance 3 to 4Hz lower than the 1/4wl tuning of the horn. This will add a bit of reactance and add a small amount of gain around the cutoff. But at the expense of a steeper rolloff.

We really have some gems of wisdom on this site.

If that lot doesn't settle the "Which scoop plays lowest debate", nothing will.

Edited by levyte357 - 11 April 2007 at 6:17am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
 Post Reply Post Reply