Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

qu'est-ce que c'est le microf**k

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: qu'est-ce que c'est le microf**k
    Posted: 11 March 2016 at 2:32pm
I have been diligently refusing to upgrade from W7 Pro to W10, by closing the pop up window, and not by clicking on the "yes-Now" button or "postpone" button.

This morning my colleagues computer goes all W10 update, and I accused him of muppetry, and clicking on yes-now. Much cursing, swearing and muttering under my breathe to get things reloaded, relicensed, and UK settings applied. And recovery of the .docx s he was working on, etc. Ball ache.

Imagine my surprise, when 2 hours later, my computer displays an out of memory pop up alert window, turns itself off, restarts and immediately starts loading W10!

Firstly I apologised to my colleague, but then vented all my anger at Micro$uck.

I have no problem with W10, I use it at home, as a trial to see what it is all about. Even have some W98 legacy hardware that still manages to work, and I quite like it, However, it was my choice to upgrade, once I had backed everything up, so I could do a barebones recovery if I had to.

Work is a whole different environment. Stability is critical, then security, then back-ups for worst case. Being forced into an unscheduled OS change is not my idea of good.

Any one else been butt f*cked by M$, or just our office?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 3:11pm
..i spent half hour last week picking out all the win10 bullshit just to stop her pc going win10-tits-up!!

if it does do anything silly without asking me i'll go through 6months of hell teaching my wife how to use a linux distro or chromium OS!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 4:08pm
One of my neighbors called me yesterday to say their Win7 machine had spontaneously updated - swore blind he had told it not to. Also noticed anther laptop I had was maxing out my internet, looked in task manager and it was the microsoft software distribution service that was responsible. Checked what win update was doing and couldn't see anything obvious but decided to hide the win10 update offer - network usage went to zero immediatley, go figure.
Don't get me started about the amount of win7 machines with cpu's at 50% and half their memory tied up with 'netsvcs' service due to messed up windows update.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 10:25am
The only thing I can suggest is to manually check every update rather than go automatic, and hide anything (right click-hide) any update that is related to 10.

I am quite pissed that it has come to this, after spending years trying to get friends and family to keep up to date on patches this is extremely counter productive.

I need windows still for a few applications for which there is no Unix equivalent yet but Microsoft's behavior re. 10 and all of its shitty features in general is making me look very hard at how I can get over to Linux at some point.

Edit: If the all these stories of unwanted upgrades are true I see some very expensive lawsuits in MS's future. I feared the worst when they started trying to pre-load 5gb of update files 'just to keep the update experience smooth'. What a genius idea for those on slow or meter connections. Pricks.

Edited by odc04r - 12 March 2016 at 10:28am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Don't get me started about the amount of win7 machines with cpu's at 50% and half their memory tied up with 'netsvcs' service due to messed up windows update.

Ditto that,one Win7 machine here goes to 100% CPU all the bloody time,and then the updates dont even load,it just hangs until manually shut it down...as they say on Top Gear 'how hard can it be?" to update the dam thing?
Be seeing you.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2016 at 12:02am
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Battered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2016 at 6:08am
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Why mess about like that, installing more rubbish you don't need?

Why not simply go to 'Control Panel', scroll down to the bottom left corner till you see 'Installed Updates', then click on that and scroll down till you find 'KB3035583', click on it and uninstall it, then when you have done that do an Update search, when that comes up with 'KB3035583' click on hide then you won't be bothered with their crap until you want to be bothered by it Wink

Touching cloth at 200 mph
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2016 at 12:53pm
Read about this today, apparently it was due to MS changing the status of the upgrade from optional to recommended, which meant it suddenly became an automatic install based on a lot of people's update settings.

For what its worth, I've got all my laptops and my home server on W10 now and its all running fine (apart from the odd non-accelerated display driver crash and recovery here and there)

Edited by norty303 - 16 March 2016 at 12:55pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2016 at 10:51am
an article in The Register alludes to malware being adapted to force the Windoze 10 upgrade!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/17/microsoft_windows_10_upgrade_gwx_vs_humanity/

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
guig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 4:03am
same happened for me, but all work as charm after update, so no problem
 Post Reply Post Reply