Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 9:13am
@ Cerharden. That was needed pre 1511 (current) Win 10. Now you can use any 7/8 serial. If you have a newer 7/8 with no serial (coa) sticker it will have a modern bios with serial embedded and will work. As a footnote no version of 7 Ultimate seems to want to play ball, only ones with serials on side which then downgrade you to Pro.
@Kevin. Agreed on all
It's everything, not everythink!
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 3:43pm
Thanks to all. As most 5 year olds are more computer savvy that I am I think I better stick with what I got.

If it 'ain't broke etc.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2016 at 10:41am
That's definitely my attitude to upgrades if you're happy with what you have.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 10:54am
An update to my post in another (Windows XP) thread. I finally made the move to Win10 after my old PC started being a very naughty boy and so I bought a new Zoostorm PC as a replacement. I transferred all my data from the 2 HDDs using an IDE/USB caddy - the only problem I had was the WD 320 disk I had as my 'data' drive I had originally set up up as a secondary drive and set the jumpers accordingly and, being old and infirm, I had forgotten this so spent several annoying hours trying to work out why this disk couldn't be seen when my other disk (originally set up as a primary drive)  worked first time. As soon as I downloaded the spec sheet I realised my mistake and quickly had all my data and pics on the new machine. All my passwords are kept in the cloud on LastPAss so no problems there - the last hurdle was reloading MSOffice 2003 (I know, it's old but it works and I don't need anything else) from CD. The Product key had been written on the CD (which had been loaded 3 times previously due to disk crashes/new machine being bought) but the writing was somewhat faded and I couldn't get the key accepted. A quick search on the InterWeb thingy turned up 2 Product Key finders that scan the registry, either on current system or old on a caddied system drive and within seconds the key was found and office was loaded. Other than a few bits of software that I rarely use anyway but may load later, everything was loaded in double quick time and I find WIN10 far better and more intuitive that either WIN7 or WIN8. All in all - a happy experience. Oh, and the Zoostorm is like greased lightning compared to my old machine.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Jez_3phaze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_3phaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 1:56am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 9:21am
Whilst working at IBM recently, all developers in my section were given laptops, sporting Red Hat Linux as main OS, & Windows running in a VM.

IMHO,for some techies, the perfect combination.

I'm running Debian & '7 x64 VM, priceless.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Whilst working at IBM recently, all developers in my section were given laptops, sporting Red Hat Linux as main OS, & Windows running in a VM.

IMHO,for some techies, the perfect combination.

I'm running Debian & '7 x64 VM, priceless.

Update... Now upgraded 7 x64VM to '10.. Embarrassed
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12