Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FANE Long throw W bin, similar to Martin Audio 115
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FANE Long throw W bin, similar to Martin Audio 115

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FANE Long throw W bin, similar to Martin Audio 115
    Posted: 26 March 2016 at 9:56am
Hello everyone,

I have just acquired two bass bins that are very similar to the Martin Audio 115's but have a larger flare and a smaller box (also doesn't have handles on the side). Someone very kindly found this plan for them so apparently the design is by FANE, not sure of the model number though if anyone can identify it that would be great.

Very similar to the Martin Audio 115 plans (would be great if someone could tell me the differences between each if they have heard either of them):

Here's a photo of the cabinets themselves:

Weird thing is though when I opened up the back I noticed that the driver - a RCF L15 554K - was facing into the central enclosure which was lined with something like hessian fibre (coffee bean sack material) which was stuck to the driver surround which had been torn from the cone pretty much all the way around (perhaps this was due to the pressure of the cone firing into the enclosure... or maybe it's just an old driver).

I also noticed that it had been modded with an extra wooden frame attached to the back with two walls to extend the neck (top cab in photo below) and also did not have a wedge on the back plate - all very strange.

have removed this add-on as I'd much prefer it to be nearer to the original (see bottom cab above) so plan on adding a wedge to the back plate and turning the speaker around so that it fires into the wedge which makes much more sense.

Any advice as to what material/ combination of material to line the inside of the chamber with. Also, what do people think about adding an extra bracing in the middle of the chamber to make sure it doesn't resonate too much...?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for all the replies so far.

Thomas.

Edited by space141 - 26 March 2016 at 9:58am
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2016 at 1:27pm
These were from the old Fane constructors DIY book, according to the book cover 60 to 700Hz.

The book used to be avaliable for download on www.ozvalveamps.org but the sits seems to be down atm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 6:08pm
I have seen a big hole cut into the bottom panel of the driver chamber, and the entire cabinet then placed on a large resonator cabinet. Mainly used on the early 215 mk1 Martins (the two 115 w-bins on-top of each other design). Very effective too.
Be seeing you.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:01pm
Re the porting, I had a conversation many years ago with the late Steve Hewlett, sadly no longer with us, the author of Fane handbook, he had been called to take a look at a system in a club in Belgium IIRC that had a pile of the Fane Y bins, they were looking input on how to get more sub from the system, Steve had them cut out ports on the baffle boards which to all accounts worked, he drew the port placements and diameter on a copy of the plan that is posted above, long since lost sadly. I did try it on a pair loaded with 15XB's and had picture frames dancing on 3ft thick stone walls in a 20*25ft room, it worked.
 Post Reply Post Reply