Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12' horn for 12v portable system.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12' horn for 12v portable system.
    Posted: 07 April 2016 at 10:51am
I am currently working on a project to build a sound system that will be mounted on a modified bike trailer and ridden around burning seed festival (Australia's answer to burning man)

I have currently got a 300 watt 15' PA speaker running off a TPA3116 two channel amp and a 7AH gell cell battery to power it, Just as a twist iv also built a tin roof with solar panel that mounts on top of the speaker and charges the battery as the system is being used for far greater/ever lasting battery life.

i am looking to add a 12' horn/kick bin/W bin to the mix to give the whole system a bit more grunt.
(not that it honestly needs it, im doing it purely for my own enjoyment)

It will be powered by another TPA3116 amp and 11AH battery and hooked to a MiniDSP to work out the cross over between the PA and the sub as well as setting delays for the sub to combat group phase.

i am looking for recommendations for plans and/or low watt 12' drivers that would be good for this project!

Any help appreciated!

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 12:09pm
Nice! Where are you located?

As an idea, MTH30 tapped horn... this driver appears to be suitable (and cheap)
https://www.vfmaudio.com.au/15250/FS-Audio-12-Inch-Replacement-Driver-PA-DJ-Subwoofer-Speaker-8-Ohm-1000-Watt/
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
tommontereye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 12:37pm
I am located in Melbourne, Thank you for the suggestion, interesting design. Not sure how i feel about having an exposed driver from an aesthetics point of view. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 1:23pm
Metal grille with foam backing ;)
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 3:31pm
I use the MTH30 bin with Fane Sovereign 12-500LF for mobile PA, running from a 150 watt amp channel, and it works extremely well. 
It would potentially make more sense for you to build a 15" tapped horn bin though, given that you already have 15" in your mid-top. You will be extremely pleased with the amount of bass such a bin can produce from a small amount of amp power.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 10:44pm
JBell's SS15 will use the 15" version of that driver linked above, the FS JB-1500
Not a bad idea S45! All depends on your size limits - how big can you go?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 11:06pm
Because it will be mounted on a bike trailer with the speakers facing away from me for best listening behind the sub can't be too big as it won't fit on the wheel base of the trailer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommontereye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 11:39pm
Drawings for the MTH30 show it as 69cm across when laying down which could be ideal but I really need to build my little trailer before I can be certain
 Post Reply Post Reply