Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL EON 515

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 8:08am
No our power is not fine I am a qualified electrician and work full time for the municipality neutral bars are constantly being stolen from the substations causing voltage to go up to almost 400volts between live and earth this destroys a smpsu in no time. A lot of people in the sound and pa companies ask what they can do. I recommend they carry around the checker plug with the 3 neon lights which will show you if a earth is missing as surge protectors are essentially useless. Secondly power factor is also problem power theft causes phases to become unevenly loaded casing serious inbalances as power thieves use the earth as a return and not the neutral. South Africa uses a TNS system which makes use of neutral to return back to the transformer at the substation and the earth as a protective earth not a return. When I contacted Wild and Marr to get a price for the module they told me they had 16 in stock either they anticipated there is problems with power here or they knew there was a problem the that particular module     
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 12:28pm
" they had 16 in stock either they anticipated there is problems with power here or they knew there was a problem the that particular module"

Yes, the guy I mentioned before bought about 10 of these. I think that 4 blew up within a few months, not a good percentage. Also, they were 'ex-demo' from another company, so no guarantee. The guy obviously wasn´t happy, as he´d been using the old G2´s for years without too much bother. He told me that he got a price on the replacement modules because he bought 5. Repairing them is a PITA, especially if there is a lot of damage. Sometimes it is cheaper/easier to just replace.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
bruce@bluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 12:37pm
I agree Marcus it's just worth the effort not too mention spares out here are also difficult to obtain. I gave it back to him, he obviously did not learn his lesson as he went out and purchased a pair of Wharfdale powered Titans even after I told I visited the local Wharfdale office where the technician showed me a huge box full of Titan smpsu blown. Oh well 
legaspiclg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legaspiclg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 11:18pm
Hi Simon.
Good evening, i need your help please, i have a JBL EON 515XT. THE fuse keeps blowing up.
Please help me to repair my speaker, my email number is legaspiclg@yahoo.co.uk.
Thanks
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 7:07am
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL AS VERY DANGEROUS VOLTAGES ARE AROUND THIS BOARD WHEN POWERED UP AND THIS SHOULD BE ONLY ATTEMPTED BY A COMPETENT ENGINEER.

I have repaired a few of these and below & most of the problems seem to be the stuck relay fault & the main VBOOT circuit U608. Here is a list of things to check from the JBL service manual:--

Start by doing a thorough visual examination of the assembly for any sign of damage.

This will help guide you to the trouble area.

2. Using an ohm-meter measure from TP601 (+VCC) to TP602 (Ground). It should
measure over 2K and rising as it charges up the capacitors. If this reads near 0 ohms then
you will need to remove the PWA from the heatsink and check for a silpad short.
3. Using an ohm-meter measure from TP603 (-VCC) to TP602 (Ground). It should
measure over 2K and rising as it charges up the capacitors. If this reads near 0 ohms then
you will need to remove the PWA from the heatsink and check for a silpad short or a
short between U402 and the heatsink.
4. Using an ohm-meter measure from TP601 (+VCC) to TP603 (-VCC). It should
measure over 2K and rising as it charges up the capacitors. If this reads near 0 ohms, then
check Q370, Q371, Q372 and Q373 for shorts, and replace the damaged parts. If two of
these MOSFETs are shorted then replacing them is all you will need to do to the
amplifier section but you will need to check the power supply for damage.
5. Connect a low voltage supply capable of +/-20Vdc to TP601 (+VCC),
TP602(GROUND) and TP603(-VCC). Verify thatthe +15, -15, +5 and –5V regulators
have the proper voltage output. If the voltage is low on any of these and there is not
excessive current draw, then replace the regulator.
6. Connect a 40K ohm resistor from D611 cathode (+VCC SENSE) to +VCC, with the
supplies set to +/-20Vdc. This will allow the amplifier to start switching. Verify the
switching waveforms at Q370 Drain pin and Q372 Drain pin are square and stable.

Primary circuits.
1.  Using an ohm-meter check Q605 and Q606 for shorts. If these devices are shorted
then check R626 and R628 which should read 10ohms. Next check Q601, Q602,
Q603, Q604 for shorts and opens. If any of these are damaged then you will most
likely need to replace the following parts along with the ones already identified.
U603, R623, R624, U602, U609 and U 601.
2.  After replacing all failed parts, connect a power supply set to 13Vdc from +15V
control to SMPSREF and place a 1K ohm resistor from U602 pin 2 to +15
control. Verify that the signal at Q606 Gate is a square wave at approximately
140KHz.
3.  Remove the 13V supply and resistor then connect a 300Vdc supply from VBULK
to SMPSREF. Verify that the signal at Q606 collector is a 300V peak to peak
square wave. The current draw should be less than 70ma.
4.  Verify that +Vcc and –Vcc are ~ 21Vdc with 300V on Vbulk.
5.  Remove the supply, check the AC fuse and verify proper operation when plugged
into the AC line.

Initial Field Failure Reports

To date early field failures have been observed in the 3 categories listed below. Included in each
category are typical warning signs indicative of each as well as corrective actions implemented.
1. Shorted devices due to metal shaving contamination. Single shorted output device with no
other failures. Look for metal shavings in the silpad insulator. Vtech has added an additional
cleaning stage to remove these from the heatsink.
2. Low IGBT gate drive at start up. Typically a catastrophic failure with extensive power
supply gate drive damage (R625-628,Q601-606,U602-602,U608,U609) . The 15 ohm
PTC at RT601 allows U608 to fully initialize before the supply is enabled.
3. 230V power up failures due to a sticking relay. The dominant failure modes observed
have been a blown fuse and/or damaged U603. Check for a stuck relay by looking across
the contacts of K600 while unpowered for a short between 1/2VBULK and DOUBLER.
These can be accessed topside by probing T601 Pin 6 (highlighted in pink and R611 Pin
2 highlighted in white).
In some cases a stuck relay can be “unstuck” by getting knocked about in shipping and
will measure ok. It is also worth noting that the bulk caps C610 and C611 can be
damaged due to overvoltage stress if powered on at 220-264V with a stuck relay. In this
case the unit will power up successfully but will not work when driving a load. Replacing
C610 and C611 will remedy this. The auto detect circuitry has been redesigned effective
1/14/09 to prevent a power down glitch which causes the stuck relay.

Check there is 15 volts across C619 when powered up & this will tell if the VBOOT circuit is working (if not replace U608  which is a LNK304).

Hope this helps......WinkWink

Edited by simonp1100 - 01 July 2017 at 7:10am
legaspiclg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legaspiclg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 9:27am
Hi Simon,
Good morning, it is very complicated to me what you said, can i send you my amp board, to you? And please let me know how much you charge me, for the parts and labor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12