Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 15 vs TMS-3 (and others...) folded horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 5:16am
Probably a wise idea to stop taking the TMS-3 readings seriously since they're not loaded with the correct driver...

Get a pair that are loaded with a LS-150x designation driver (Fane/PD OEM for Turbo) and have a ganders at their ability to punch up to 250+

A lot of R&D went into making that happen, regardless of what some people may tell you about them just being rebadg'ed, off the shelf drivers. (show me the Fane/PD 18" that can make a 250Hz X-Over in a TMS-4!)
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Xtro don't sound good at anything

This is so NOT TRUE, I don't know what you've been messing around with, did you use the xt8 horn? (otherwise this is probably why)

To me & us they sound much sweeter than my tms-2s, mostly because of the kick section, that straight kick just sound fantastic:-)
-Only proble being that they're far too big & heavy:-(

@TMS-3 vs hd15:
The designs are completely different, tse-
115 series (tms-2/3 & tse-215) has a bigger front chamber and the orientation of the driver is completely different, have a look inside your box.

Cut over your tms-3s so you get an entire tse-2
15 and then glue a piece of bbply onto the side of the 2x10" highmid t get a tse-211 like cab.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Probably a wise idea to stop taking the TMS-3 readings seriously since they're not loaded with the correct driver...

Get a pair that are loaded with a LS-150x designation driver (Fane/PD OEM for Turbo) and have a ganders at their ability to punch up to 250+

A lot of R&D went into making that happen, regardless of what some people may tell you about them just being rebadg'ed, off the shelf drivers. (show me the Fane/PD 18" that can make a 250Hz X-Over in a TMS-4!)

I use RCF MB15n401, sounds much better than the ls-1506 for tms-2
I must admit i never tried the ls-
1507 in the tms-3

I have 4 pcs brand new ls-
1507 of for grabs anyone? :-)
The ls-
1507 is a bigger more powerful driver, looks more like pd.154, I think it has a 4" coil and takes more power. These drivers are VERY hard to find.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

I use RCF MB15n401, sounds much better than the ls-1506 for tms-2
I must admit i never tried the ls-
1507 in the tms-3

They're not TMS-2s anymore then, look at the specification for the TMS-2 (or any Turbo box for that matter) and they specify that for it to be considered a TMS-x then it has to be loaded with the correct compliment of drivers in the correct box, for better or for worse...

I have 4 pcs brand new ls-1507 of for grabs anyone? :-)
The ls-
1507 is a bigger more powerful driver, looks more like pd.154, I think it has a 4" coil and takes more power. These drivers are VERY hard to find.

IIRC, the 1507 was for the TSE-115, TMS-2 etc to give it some more balls in a single element and that the dual-15 combinations where deemed to not need the extra weight, etc. because of the coupling efficiency 

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 4:59pm
LOL, I care about sound not words, I have the ls-1506 drivers in stock, but why woud I want to use them when RCF sounds better? I only stock them so I can put them back in when I want to sell them someday to some idiot who doesn't think it's right without the worse drivers:-)

Read the turbosound compmap here and then tell me ls-1507 is not for tms-3, it is the newest driver for the box and it kicks balls better than the 06:-) The older boxes used LS-1504 by the way, not 06...

So if you want 4 pcs of brand new original newest drivers now is your chance, I have one other buyer testing the boxes next week (with other drivers for test)

www.connect-mst.de/connectts/ersatzteillisten/Teileliste-CompMap.xls

Edited by tv00 - 01 July 2016 at 5:02pm
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 5:38pm

LOL, I care about sound not words

I'm not surprised that you don't care about words if you want to try and hold someone against something they've said that started with 'if I recall correctly'.

Evidently I didn't. I'm not that shocked, I don't really invest that much of my life into memorising every single part number-cabinet combination.

Calm down!

Ive only ever heard of people running these boxes as an interest/hobby so I reckon keeping them original is a large part of that experience.

Any one I know that has a passion for these boxes owns them as a hobby and if they run a business then they don't use these boxes and use boxes from this millennium
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 6:28pm
LOL I had Aspect wides, heavy and painfull to my ears, tms-range still does the job after all those years, amazing design:-)
ultramars10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultramars10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 2:36am

@TMS-3 vs hd15:
The designs are completely different, tse-
115 series (tms-2/3 & tse-215) has a bigger front chamber and the orientation of the driver is completely different, have a look inside your box.

I had a look inside of my boxes, and i saw that there is indeed more space beetween the baffle plate and the rear panel in the TMS, as well as more distance beetween the rear panel and the panel that makes the begining of the horn.
Now, if you consider that the TMS is something like 6 cm less wide than the HD15, you understand that the two dimensions above mentionned have to be more important in the TMS  to end up with a comparable port area and front chamber volume as in the HD15.
At least, from what i could measure with the microphone, i could see that the tuning of both boxes is comparable; especially the roll-off in their top end happens at the same frequency.

i would say theses two boxes are two diffferent ways to do the same thing, and i agree that HD15 is not just a copy of the TMS series kick-bin.

Edited by ultramars10 - 02 July 2016 at 2:37am
"If it sounds right, it's right" (Joe Meek)
ultramars10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultramars10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 2:45am

www.connect-mst.de/connectts/ersatzteillisten/Teileliste-CompMap.xls

Thx for this XLS file, i'm very happy to have it now Smile
"If it sounds right, it's right" (Joe Meek)
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 11:51am
Xtro can sound very good for electronic music! Bright and clean and lots of kick, but also muddy with rock music or so.. 

To the OP, I would cut your TMS3 into a TSE211 and a kick bin, like TSE215
We need more SPL!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12