Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do my reflexes sound so...honky?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 6:39pm
Popped some more bracing today and ransacked the house for anything soft bar my bedding. Found a mouse infested bag of purpley soft fluffy stuff so tried my best at making it stick to the sides.

It does sound different, slightly less honky, quieter & less low end but its hard to tell - Living in a small terraced house its I cant exactly crank it up or be free from nasty reflections... Id have to see next time I take it out.

One strange thing I noticed is there appears to be more spl when standing behind the cab - and ideas why?

Edit:
Had a mess around with arta again and didn't get any results that made sense. I think ill have to buy some proper sheets of wadding  - those scraps of bloody fluff are a right pain in the arse to stop from floating all over the place.

Edited by dmr - 19 June 2016 at 9:07pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by dmr dmr wrote:

It does sound different, slightly less honky, quieter & less low end but its hard to tell - Living in a small terraced house its I cant exactly crank it up or be free from nasty reflections... Id have to see next time I take it out.
One strange thing I noticed is there appears to be more spl when standing behind the cab - and ideas why?

It's best to do all your measuring outside and away from building walls etc so that the acoustics of the space you're in don't interfere with the measasurements - especially for listening tests.

Your entire issue with "honkiness" could disappear as soon as you get the cab into a bigger or more open space - it could be as simple as a resonance or mode in the room you're in.

That could equally well account for the "louder behind the cab" observation.

HTH,
David.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 12:53pm
In a cab like this, I would line the back of the ports directly behind the driver. 

and yes, test it in a bigger space.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 8:28pm
Wow, I thought that trying bass cab outside of any room is obvious. My fault! No wonder it sounds honky. Yes. Depending on the room, you will have problems with room modes. For every room dimension, you will have standing waves for that dimension lenght, making problems. Normal rooms often do this at 55-75 Hz, and the outcome brings very strong variation in SPL in certain frequencies. As great as 12db in extreme conditions. + or -. Your subwoofer is totally expected to sound honky in your room. Key things are: room shape and damping(furniture), woofer position and proper equalization. With one woofer, one can do only so much - you will never get to ideal state to homogenic accoustical "field" trough all frequencies. Good PEQ will do a lot for one listening place....

Edited by Crashpc - 24 June 2016 at 8:30pm
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
dmr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Crashpc Crashpc wrote:

Wow, I thought that trying bass cab outside of any room is obvious. My fault! No wonder it sounds honky. Yes. Depending on the room, you will have problems with room modes. For every room dimension, you will have standing waves for that dimension lenght, making problems. Normal rooms often do this at 55-75 Hz, and the outcome brings very strong variation in SPL in certain frequencies. As great as 12db in extreme conditions. + or -. Your subwoofer is totally expected to sound honky in your room. Key things are: room shape and damping(furniture), woofer position and proper equalization. With one woofer, one can do only so much - you will never get to ideal state to homogenic accoustical "field" trough all frequencies. Good PEQ will do a lot for one listening place....

Yeah i'm aware that using it in confined spaces will play havoc on standing waves/resonances and was just mentioning its hard to test it in my area.

initially noticed the honkiness when I first took them out, this was outdoors, elevated by about a foot in an open grassy space. So far plenty of bracing, wadding (old polyester duvets make good wadding!) and a touch of EQ seems to have made things a lot better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123