Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PSL KA2401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeeboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 12:05am
Is it possible to replace the Inrush resistor with one with greater tolerances before it fails?
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 6:55pm
Moving it away from the pcb is probably a worthwhile upgrade, so it can't set fire to it.

I was once called out to a machine that spot-welded gold foil to jet turbine blades. The inrush resistor was a 200W version of the (50W?)one used in the PSL. The welder had failed and the resistor had exploded so violently it dented the steel enclosure the transformer was in.

I replaced that resistor with a couple of convection-cooled cement-coated ones.   
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Jakeeboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakeeboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 8:31pm
Hi there!

Thanks for reply.

It's funny you should suggest moving the resistor away from the PCB as I spoke to a friend today who is an electronic engineer and he suggested exactly that. He also suggested the possibility of  fitting NTC current inrush limiter in the live supply. He also suggested I may be able then to remove the resistor altogether and bridge the pins but couldn't be sure without seeing the circuit diagram. He said it can also depend upon the relay circuit etc. Don't suppose you know where I can get a schematic? I have 2 of these amps.

Many thanks

Jake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12