Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tried "Series 2" 18s in Scoops?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tried "Series 2" 18s in Scoops?
    Posted: 23 July 2016 at 1:21pm
E.g. PD1850/2, PD1851/2, PD1852/2 ?

No rumours, or mate said, or hate talk please.

Just personal experiences, thank you.  Embarrassed

EDIT:Few going cheap, might try one.

Edited by levyte357- - 23 July 2016 at 1:22pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 2:20pm
yes, and original, with now standard recone kit..

Original still very much the standard (non reconed)

the slash 2..... ill pass on this thank you...
there are better sounding drivers available for less....

not sure why they added the slash 2 to the 1852, as its the same as before, but again well over priced in todays market... But the slash 2 does differ a bit from the preproduction version...

There are better sounding drivers available for less....

1851 not done any testing a/b to slash 2.....

Edited by bee - 23 July 2016 at 2:23pm
https://www.elements-audio.com
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:07pm
Thanks Bee.

Please PM drivers you think are similar to 52/2, with similar sensitivity.

Must be at least 2.34 Ref Efficiency mate.

Manufacturer quoted sensitivity means nothing to me, and I know many here don't like talk about Referency Efficiency for 18" drivers, but  I don't care.. Embarrassed
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:13pm
so you mean an old 1850 with a new recone kit isn't as good as an original 1850? i have some old ones i should get reconed, and blue aran seem to have a mk1 and a mk2 kit.. had presumed the mk1 kit would be the same as on my old drivers.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Thanks Bee.

Manufacturer quoted sensitivity means nothing to me, and I know many here don't like talk about Referency Efficiency for 18" drivers, but  I don't care.. Embarrassed

I  hope you are aware that it is also taken as an average from a limited bandwidth that dont actually include the low end. 
I dont really read the sensitivity figures any more. Qs, BL, MMS, and if i like those numbers i buy the driver and test.

Spec are becoming more and more difficult to decipher because there is no standard.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Thanks Bee.

I  hope you are aware that it is also taken as an average from a limited bandwidth that dont actually include the low end. 
I dont really read the sensitivity figures any more. Qs, BL, MMS, and if i like those numbers i buy the driver and test.

Spec are becoming more and more difficult to decipher because there is no standard.

Personal research, has demonstrated, there is a reason why drivers such as:

PD1850 (series 1),
Void V18-1000,
Fane 18B400,
JBL 2226H,

In right cabs, provide sub notes, at very impressive SPL,  with certain power input, compared to other drivers.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 5:01pm
Research is crucial. Expecting that the same box will be right for many drivers is non realistic. Those same drivers might not perform in other boxes where other drivers will give better results.

So test whatever you can. The only way really.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 11:58pm

Thanks Bee.

had the same discussion and was shot down year or so ago, most felt reference efficiency had no place with sub frequencys, I still beg to differ and believe it is a figure well worth paying attention too.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 12:03am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

so you mean an old 1850 with a new recone kit isn't as good as an original 1850? i have some old ones i should get reconed, and blue aran seem to have a mk1 and a mk2 kit.. had presumed the mk1 kit would be the same as on my old drivers.

I may be wrong then, but I was informed that the recone kit available was for both versions.... So if there is now a mk1 and a /2 kit, (there was not a year ago)(back then) i a/b the original recone kit vs new one, it is clear its different...

So if there is now two kits that's very clear that the /2 is a very different 1850 to the one we all loved...
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 9:25am
Maybe PD'll have a 'Fane moment' where they keep an old design running ages alongside newer things (Col18B400) because it's one of those designs which is just right? Funny Lev put up the 2226 above; I consider that to be in this class too.
Don't test the champignon sound
 Post Reply Post Reply