Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sub stack distances

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sub stack distances
    Posted: 23 July 2016 at 8:27pm
How far apart is min/ max to place bass stacks for the best sound?  Right now, I have four cubo18s and I typically either place them all together, stacked two high with mouths together, on one side, or put them all on the floor side by side in front of the DJ booth, just depending on the layout of the room.  I feel like it sounds better with the four stacked, but its just my amateur ears listening, nothing concrete or real testing. 

I'm about to build four more Cubos and will have two stacks of four on either side of the DJ booth.  I've read, before, about wavelengths and propagation of the waves interfering at certain distances, but not at others, but I'm a little confused. 

Anyone able to explain it to a dunce like me?  I'd like to know the answer about the placement of my stacks, but I would also like to understand the why behind it, too.

Thanks!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2016 at 9:38pm
Speaker to speaker and speaker to room interactions are easiest to hear at low frequencies so the best thing you can do is experiment for yourself. The physics affecting the results you get is tied to the fact that sound wavelengths at low frequencies are very long.. ranging from 11.25ft at 100hz to 37.5ft at 30hz. You get cancellations or summations at distances between drivers or between drivers and boundaries at even fractions of the total wavelengths, so it's usually better to make your subs as close to a single point source as possible and keep them closer to boundaries... assuming you are looking for even coverage throughout the listening area of course. Sometimes it is beneficial to produce a narrowed or directional response to minimize unwanted noise on neighboring properties for example, and when you understand how it works you can do it on purpose.
Jubone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 9:20pm
The “Power Alley” - Discussion & Solutions To The Troubling Interaction Of Subwoofers

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/in_search_of_the_power_alley/

Hope this helps.
+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 11:15am
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 11:54am
Very very rarely do stereo setups with "foh" but last time managed to put it exactly where the whole sub was gone Smile .
 Post Reply Post Reply