Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decent AP for multiple users

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decent AP for multiple users
    Posted: 02 August 2016 at 3:03am
Hey,

As some of you know I look after a largish building/venue. It's an 130 year old ex townhall in London.

For years our network has been a bit of a mish mash of different APs and home brew systems by the geeks. And sadly as the memory of the last major uber geek fades as does the loo roll based super APs which have been replaced with various Netgear and Draytek routers and access points. Our current system is a Draytek 2830vn+ in the basement, routing to a Dreytek 2800 being used as an AP only along with a few other Netgears 54gs on each floor. 

So before I go ahead a buy a load of Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro APs and build a mesh, is there any other APs to consider?

Also while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a suitable adsl router or shall I just go with a Ubiquiti too?
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2016 at 3:07am
On when I say multiple users, it's between 20 on an average day and upto hundreds on event days.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2016 at 6:37am
Ubiquiti is good stuff I hear. I've managed some Aerohive systems which seemed to do the job for large offices. No need for a WLC either with Aerohive.

At home I have a WatchGuard T10W but that's more of a firewall with WiFi than a dedicated AP.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 12:48pm
Ubiquiti is my go to supplier for domestic and less demanding commercial setups. If more mission critical than I move up to Rukus.

Dupe....
Dupe...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 3:56pm
rukus is cheap (but expensive to buy) crap - stick with ubiquiti you'll be fine
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 3:13am
Cisco with Meraki, if you want to open it up you need some form of liability offload, Meraki with -Twat-book log in gives you that...

Plus Layers etc.....

Post Reply Post Reply