Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Passive X-Over?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattgj1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Passive X-Over?
    Posted: 27 August 2016 at 5:46pm
Hi there.

I've assembled a shoddy system over ebay - lots of ancient stuff - soon to appear in the worst stacks thread!  

But, its for fun and for BBQs and I'm having a laugh on a budget.  I might be getting the bug though...

Hopefully you'll humour me and answer me this:

I bought a single cab that has two 15" drivers in and what looks like passive crossovers.  I have bought a behringer crossover and am using that  -  should i remove the passive crossovers in this sub?

Thanks

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 5:48pm
No need to physically remove it, just wire the drivers direct to the input missing out the passive.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Mattgj1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattgj1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 5:54pm
thanks for the reply  - does using an active crossover with a passive crossover in the cab mean that you're not getting the benefit of the active crossover?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 6:17pm
Passive crossovers are less efficient so if it's still connected you'll lose some power on the bass end. Plus if you have set your active to say `120Hz but the passive operates at 100Hz you'll lose some frequency............... The active will be sending everything below 120 to the bass bin but the passive will filter everything above 100 so 100 -120 will pretty much disapear.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Mattgj1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattgj1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 6:24pm
Great - that's what I thought I'd understood from reading these threads.  
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 11:32pm
just disconect it ie rewire slightly but leave them actualy in the cab in case you ever need them again is what i think markkie is saying [and i agree tbh]

me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
 Post Reply Post Reply