Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some general newbie questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2016 at 7:40am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

youre opening a can of worms here son.... its a big old learning curve and theres tons and tons to learn. but measured responce and the preseived responce are two different beasts. down near 40hertz youre gonna want about 4x the power of midrange to make you THINK its more balanced.

i'll let someone with more know how break it down for ya.....

Well actually I am looking for some small hints, this is home audio use, not professionall.

----

About vented boxes, for example why this box does not have square shape, but trapezodial?

If box of the same volume would be make square and simple, how will it affect speaker behavour? (vented box)
http://www.fane-international.com/downloads/Fane%20EN1501%20Enclosure.pdf

In this case I presume that horn would not fit if speaker would be square. (than volume will be larger)

Edited by grizli - 05 September 2016 at 7:44am
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2016 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by grizli grizli wrote:

Whats lowest frequency those 15" left and right speaker can go ? PDF document claims 40 Hz
Do you use any high pass filter and those "satellites" is it necessary to be used ?

In general, what bass /woofer drivers (in what type of box) are allowed to be used without high pass filter ? For example 1850 needs 24db/oct high pass filter to remove frequencies below 40 Hz not to destroy the driver.

Is that needed for this 15" s in vented boxes?

One more thing:

Because human ear is most sensitive at 1 kHz per SPL in dB, and sensitivity drops with frequency, in PA audio systems, what are the ratios ? For example if at 1kHz it is chosen that at certain distance 100 dB is enough ,how mush dB at for example 50 Hz would be required

Hello again!

Not sure how low the mids go...I currently run them down to 250hz and have the bass do the rest but will be changing that when my hog scoops come along and the reflex boxes take on kick duty...

The crossovers have adjustable filters and I also have an active crossover (in my amp rack) that I can adjust too.

In regards to bass drivers and filters...I'm not sure but many amps (including mine) have settings to use a high pass filter to cut out those <30hz frequencies so I just use my amp for that.

Wish I could answer your other questions but I haven't been in the game long enough to answer ;)

Hope you find out and good luck with the build!
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12