Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrymossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dutch
    Posted: 21 September 2016 at 6:24pm
Made a portable boombox from a wooden ammo box before with matching subwoofer, but as that was too large to use indoors and I didn't use that one too much, I wanted to build myself a new (smaller) boombox with a few requirements:
  • Small
  • Low tuning (sub?)
  • For use inside
  • Portable if needed, so I can use it outside
After trying out two Monacor's SP-60/4 with Dayton tweeters I decided that would need a subwoofer for sure. I ended up using a Tang Band W5-1138SMF and two Visaton's FRS-8 (4 ohm). I was pretty happy with some eBay TPA3116 2.1 amp in my first boombox, so I decided to get me another one (this time with adjustable cut-off frequency). 

Using a rectangular port I got the F3 at about 35Hz. At the backside there is a compartment for both a 5V powerbank and a 4s(+) LiPo (anything with a XT60 connector). Inside there is a Chromecast Audio. Aux and external power supply connectors on the side.

I ended up with this (needs a few changes still - but these are details):

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 1:22pm
Can you wifi direct to chromecast audio or does it still need to be connected to home router?
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
barrymossel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrymossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 1:28pm
You need an external router unfortunately. For real mobility I have a mobile 4g access point and the aux connection.
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 6:47am
Wat amp did you go for?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrymossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 6:49am
Originally posted by jerronimo jerronimo wrote:

Wat amp did you go for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271844310196

2.1 TPA3116 with adjustable cross-over. Works fine for me!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by barrymossel barrymossel wrote:

Originally posted by jerronimo jerronimo wrote:

Wat amp did you go for?

2.1 TPA3116 with adjustable cross-over. Works fine for me!

Ah - one of _those_.

I've looked at em before .... seemed interesting - good idea to integrate 2.1 onto one module, but the lack of info and the Chinese-ness of the spec/description always put me off.

What are the 4 pots ? Is there a (proper) HPF on the 2 mid-high channels ? Do you know the slopes ?
Does it come with something resembling an English (or other non-chinese) manual ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrymossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 11:17am
No manual and no HPF :) 

The pots are for sub volume, full-range volume, overall volume and cut-off frequency for the sub.
 Post Reply Post Reply