Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alptek stands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alptek stands
    Posted: 16 November 2016 at 6:36pm
Opinions on please, got a gig this weekend and my old ST-132 wind ups are looking a bit tired... Alptek 45's are what I'm looking at....

Cheers.
blah blah blah blah blah......
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2016 at 7:54pm
Not used the 45's, but have always been amazed at how often I've seen 5500's and 6500's that people have managed to extend and not put away properly. Bits missing (unscrewing the pull bolts seems to be a local crew speciality) and generally not getting the legs locked for transit does knacker them out quite quickly. That said that is in a hire company situation, not an owner taking care of his own kit
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2016 at 7:58pm
so i guess build quality ain't up to Zenith standard do but they seem ok? I have the same problem with my ST 132's and crew unscrewing the the pull bolt bits.... argh...
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2016 at 9:08pm
We use one, for outdoor fetes and sport-says.

We stick 4 DNH MH50 "Music Horns" on top, along with Radio Mic aerials, umbilical to rack, and jobs a good one.

Always found a way to level it, and has worn well, with nothing missing or broken or corroded.

We are anal about keeping things looked after and serviced and inspected, and because we own it, we look after it. How it would last in a hire environment is a different question, I can't answer.

One thing we did, was build two castors onto an L shaped ply bracket, which mounts to a top hat, that goes on the spigot. When loading into a van, that goes in first, and the two angle wheels on the base go in last. Keeps the actual winch gear off the floor of the van, and distorting under its own weight.

One man deployable, without ramp, into/out of an Iveco Daily 35s12.

100Kg of ballast, just for a little bit more, along with spikes through feet, does the job nicely.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 11:15am
What is the connection on top of them? will they fit a TV spigot or do I need an adaptor like I do with the ST 132 stands?

Cheers
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 11:46am
We have a top hat bolted to the cross piece of 1" square bar.

Top hat has a spinner to retain to outside of stand shaft.

I forget the OD of the stand's shaft, but will measure when I get five minutes. We bought two adapters when we bought the stand.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 1:07pm
I dont think the issue is build quality, more how its deployed, and by whom. Even companies like GLS (who look after their gear very, very well) aren't immune to tw*ts hiring their kit and trashing it.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 6:56pm
that a CP flightcase matt? never seen one that isn't at a BBC Scotland OB or in my bedroom before!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 6:45pm
Now the proud owner of an Apltek 45 and it did the job perfectly this weekend, It was actually a retrofitted unit from a company called Ritelite who buy the stands from Mobiltech (or whoever actually makes them), add extra big gimballed pads to the end of the legs and some super oversized wheels and sell them with a bunch of LED floods on the top for night time sports field illumination. The wheels make it really easy to move outdoors and the pads mean I don't need bread crates of plywood squares... nearly all my gigs are outside in the rain so spot on. 

It does seem that its made in the same factory as the ST 132 units I have which are getting to the end of their working life after five years or so but thats about £30 a year! just wish I could get another half meter out of it.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

that a CP flightcase matt? never seen one that isn't at a BBC Scotland OB or in my bedroom before!
No. Allegedly hand built by one of the lads here, over 30 years ago!!

Apart from the odd swivel castor being renewed, all as good as new, and is our "go to" 10U amp rack on wheels...
 Post Reply Post Reply