Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New way to stop windows 10 updating unexpectedly..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New way to stop windows 10 updating unexpectedly..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New way to stop windows 10 updating unexpectedly..
    Posted: 25 November 2016 at 9:39am
hey

I actually really like windows 10 for a lot of reasons. Has been super stable for me on all my gig laptops (while I still use Mac for Traktor and protools, use a lenovo for every day walkin/changeover playback and for system measurement etc) and I like the compromise of the start menu and layout. 

I also especially like that, for a year after it was launched, they would give you a free update to windows 10, and even if you had a dodgy copy of windows 7 or 8 they would give you a new product key and legitimise it. Even now that they're charging, you can get a legit copy for £15 or £20 if you google it rather than the £100-odd fee you pay buying a boxed copy. 

So all good, but the huge downside was that it was pretty hard to stop it randomly updating itself when you weren't expecting it. Last thing you want is for messages to start popping up and for the computer to start shutting down or restarting itself half way through a gig, especially if it's something mission critical like DMX control or video projection. 

It's also a pain for me as I tether loads on my phone, and all of a sudden it can suck up 7 or 10 gb worth of my data allowance if two or three of my PC laptops end up all trying to update themselves within a few days of each other. 

But there is a way around this it turns out. 

Primarily to deal with my problem of sucking up all of someones data, you have the ability to designate certain wifi spots as a "metered" connection. You'll still be able to access the internet, but it wont download updates and it will also not do certain data intensive things in apps that come from the windows app store. 

So if you just set any venue wifi (or your tethering on your phone) as a metered connection, you should be safe from updates until your back home and on your home wifi connection Big smile

See here for detailed instructions....

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 25 November 2016 at 1:26pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 11:02am
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

I actually really like windows 10

Fire and damnation shall be visited upon thee for eternity and thine hard drive shall be forever cursed.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

I actually really like windows 10

Fire and damnation shall be visited upon thee for eternity and thine hard drive shall be forever cursed.

Harsh, but I can see where your coming from! Wink

I was a W7 pro stalwart, and wasn't going to upgrade at work, trying it first at home. However got caught out with the auto update BS, and found out that everything worked, after a bit of fecking with drivers for legacy (W95/98 type legacy!!) hardware.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 3:15pm
I'm a UNIX/Linux dude by "Profession" NOT Geekery..

However, will still say, Windows 10,  just like '7, XP, '2000, '98, NT4.0, NT3.51, is great.

Some Linux dudes try to completely replace Windows with Linux, just for the heck of it, as opposed to necessity.

I still use Windows for Office, Sky Go, LMS Apps, certain utils..

Purely because in many cases, it's easier, as opposed to screwing with VMs, or long drawn out hackery of getting Silverlight to "kinda" work on Linux.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 3:18pm
Apres Rant.. LOL

I'm sure you can set Update Options to not update.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 3:52pm

I had w10 preview on a machine for test purposes only and I was going to stick with W7 on my main machine and have w10 on a separate partition, again for teasing. The w7 partition is now rarely used and I'm mainly using w10 with xp as a guest OS for old 16bit legacy tools....

.... I have been developing for Windows IOT, this requires windows 10 as IOT development requires the 2015 version of visual studio and this only works with Win 10.... I found myself using Win 10 more and more and using 7 less and less.

With a little fettling Win 10 is fine and very stabe, it's just the auto-update that's the pita and ms should give administrators the option to disable it properly or at least an option to delay updates to a more convenient time.

jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 7:04pm
I have to agree that the upgrade to Windows 10 has been great for me. The update thingie is a bit of a pain as others state - but the rest has been so stable IMHO and I haven't found any major criticisms with it including  old software (inc Office 2003) that still works fine. As I stated over on the Computer Talk page, I had no problems with the upgrade nor with the data transfer from my old PC (apart from of my own making). It hasn't crashed, needed a re-boot or caused any strange anomalous problems (fingers crossed/touch wood/cross legs) since I installed it. My KindleHD, on the other hand, is within an inch of being turned into a pure Android device 'cos it is the clunkiest, slowest device I have come across since my old days as a computer operator in the 70s/80s/90s. My wife's cheapo LG tablet is far superior and, as far as I know, never crashed/hung/died on her (it did  completely hang once - sent it to the LG repair agent and it was back in a few days with 'no fault found', no charge.)  

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 7:35pm
If its 10 PRO you can defer upgrades (that's build updates)

Any wireless connection can be set as, "metered". This presumes PAYG and stops updating as much

Wired can be done with a registry hack, BUT WHY NOT NORMALLY MICROSOFT?

Search Google for : set windows 10 as metered connection (wired)

THE Big 10 moan for me is it's hogging of all bandwidth during updates. All OK with load balancing router but that's way above Mr public.

PS. There is a computer section at the bottom of forum, suggest this gets moved mods?
It's everything, not everythink!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

PS. There is a computer section at the bottom of forum, suggest this gets moved mods?

Lol I'm aware there is a PC section. Normally I would have posted there, but as this is a problem quite a few people have reported and asked about, thought on this occasion using the general section would make sure most people saw it

K
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 7:59pm
Fair point
It's everything, not everythink!
King George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 10:32pm
Soundweb designer doesn't seem to work properly on 10 Cry

Other than that, great.
 Post Reply Post Reply