Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24V amp with MaxxBass + MiniDSP build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockBottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2018 at 8:11pm
If you still have a MaxxBass 103 available I want one.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 4:24pm
I've been running a system using Sure 2x300w modules and 500w boost converters for a couple of years now without any problems. I boost up to +48v. The boost converters are very well built and don't seem to have any problem being permanently wired to the amp module, no issues with inrush current. 

I know Doppler also used that system once upon a time and gave it many "hot suppers", leading to the discovery that although the switching MOSFET can blow, it is easily and cheaply repairable, and doesn't tend to take the controller IC with it ;)

They do however have a low voltage cutoff at about 11v, which means that if you are using lead acid batteries on any reasonable length of cable you can have problems getting the last few % out of the battery, since any appreciable voltage drop in the cable can make the boost converter shut down even if the battery voltage is still over 11.8v. Ditto if your batteries are tired and suffering from increased internal resistance, leading to voltage sags.
I run 4s Lipo packs now so my voltage window is 16.2 --> 12v, so the supply never sees less than 12v.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 10:35am
A bit embarrassing to see this thread again, knowing I haven't gone near this project

That said I have decided to stick with straight 24v from battery to amp, reason being is I've picked up a few solar panels and 12/24v charger... so a simple, efficient and light system will be the goal

And sorry, not selling the MaxxBass any time soon!
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 7:46pm
I've got Maxxbass 103 and several 107. Need to check this on the 103 but one thing I noticed on the 107 is that it behaves very differntly depending on the input signal. At low volumes it acts as an eq and adds a lot of LF signal. Only at high volumes does it cut the low frequencies and add lots of harmonics. So you need to make sure that you gain structure is set up so that at high volumes the signal through the Maxxbass is at maximum level.
RockBottom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockBottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 1:58am
I'm not interested in a 107, just the 103. I have a MaxxBass BCL which is a real monster. This is for my car and a 107 wouldn't work for me. Let me know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12