Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tweeter boxes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Danielr Danielr wrote:

After a few days thinking about it, I think this is going to be a back burner thing for a little bit. So this will be a case of wanting to stop and save up a little now, to get a better result later, (if the difference was hundreds, then I'd probably go with cheaper 1" drivers now, but realistically, it's such a small difference it's silly to half arse it after putting time/money into box building)
I have to say it's awesome to see somebody ask for advice, digest it, and then make the right decision. In fact if you had come back and said you just couldn't afford to buy 2" drivers and wanted help getting the best you could with a 1" driver I'd be happy to help as much as I could. You wouldn't believe how much good advice just goes in one ear and out the other on these internet forums.

Quote You could perhaps find a set of speakers with horns and CD's in them in the classifieds but with blown bass drivers for example.
That is exactly how I acquired a pair of 2" drivers. Seller thought the cabs were totally blown because when these bi-amp only cabs were connected to an amp with an NL2 cable there was no sound. I did my best to contain myself, handed over the $60 he wanted and took the cabs home where a quick test revealed 2 perfectly good 2" exit compression drivers.

Using Conanski's suggested cross over frequencies above.
can you confirm my calculations for blocking capacitor, (i've calculated for 8ohm drivers, a match of an 8ohm reactance in the capacitor, should give a 3db roll off at the crossover frequency.)
A cap will give you a 6db/oct rolloff and you want the corner frequency to be an octave below actual crossover freq being used..

2" exit CD ...crossed ... really low.. like at 800hz (so blocking cap at 400hz = 49uF)
1.4" exit drivers,  around 1.2khz to 1.6khz (blocking cap at 600hz-800hz = 24.8uF)
1" exit drivers, least a 2khz crossover (blocking cap at 1khz = 20uF)

It's (at the moment) in a tough spot where the mindset is still that a lot of members are of the mind set that this sort of stuff simply isn't needed. no worth paying for. etc... or there are (unrealistic) limits to how much this stuff should cost etc.

That is not uncommon unfortunately and it can be an uphill battle the whole way to get them onboard. Sometimes these same people don't think anything of dropping thousands on their own instruments to get that special tone but for some reason a PA system that can produce clean vocals over top of the racket they generate isn't their problem.

kronborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 7:16pm
As Conanski says above, it's great to see someone taking advice seriously, and rethinking the original plan. I myself am not always that good to listen Ouch

It IS difficult to convince people that has no interest in it, to spend money on upgrading the sound system or other equipment. I had the same problem with a band I used to play in. No-one in the band except me transported their equipment in protective bags or hard cases. As I was responsible for arranging transportation and packing the van or trailer, I was also responsible to take great care to pack the equipment and instruments safely. It took me years to convince them to spend the money to protect their own equipment, because accidents happen and I wouldn't want to take responsibility.
When each bought cases and gigbags for their equipment, it seemed like they all had an epiphany, and they realised how much easier it was for them and me to pack everything, and how much easier it was when all cables and small loose items were in a few cases.

What I'm trying to say is that you probably have to convince the band that it's a good idea to have a decent sound system, because it IS a good idea. The challenge is definitely HOW to convince them, especially if they are some of the more traditional old-school jazz musicians. I've had some prejudices about these kind of people, and sadly quite a few of them have proven to be true.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any pictures of your sound system? I would love to see it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12