Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time building speakers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time building speakers
    Posted: 22 January 2017 at 10:23am
Hey guys,
I'm trying to make a few of these HD15 horns and we're doing it with recycled concreteplex (dunno if you call it like that in english?) from the street and before we began we filled up the holes from screws and stuff, my question is; should i paint the inside of the bin too in case the woodfiller is gonna crumble off or something? if yes, what kind of paint should i use?
thanks
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 8:18am
Seeing as no one else had commented...

I've googled it and i think concreteplex is what we call phenolic ply.

What type of filler are you using inside the box to be worried about it breaking up?

If worried paint a little bit of pva or better still sbr (Styrene Butyl Rubber) over it to bond the top but you are better using a filler that's not going to degrade easily.
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 12:40pm
Man you'll have a lot of problems glueing parts togather. It's very hard to find good adhesive for laminated surfaces. The only i know is silane adhesive but i'm no sure. For the first time it's better to use the simple ply + PVA.

Edited by PavelP - 01 February 2017 at 12:41pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by PavelP PavelP wrote:

Man you'll have a lot of problems glueing parts togather. It's very hard to find good adhesive for laminated surfaces. The only i know is silane adhesive but i'm no sure. For the first time it's better to use the simple ply + PVA.

+1 

is it this kind of stuff:

???

if so, you have to scrape off the black stuff anywhere you want to make a joint. Otherwise the glue will not join the boards. It needs to be wood on wood. Smells like a lot of work…. 

Painting the cabs might prove difficult too if you have the phenolic,  and then surfaces without it, probably impossible to get a consistent finish, resulting in  "ghetto" look (not that that is a bad thing, depends on what you want yourself?). 

the filler will be sufficient, putting paint on it will not really improve or worsen the airtightness (is that even a word??)

good luck with the build!!

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 7:11pm
I've worked with phenolic a bit - not on speakers but other things
Coarse sand the faces to get a good key where you want to glue and it'll bond ok. I've usually used polyurethane with it so can't say if pva based glues will be fine on it though.
Ivar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 1:51pm
i really dont know wat went trough me when i thought to make speakers of that kind of wood, should've made a table from it or something :P 

but anyways i allready started with it and will try to finish it as good as possible, so thanks for the tips and ill get on to it!

Ivar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 2:01pm
I just used a pretty standard woodfiller ment for big holes, doesnt really name a type. 
but as ive seen it dried out well now i dont think its gonna crumble off that fast. i think ill just hope for the best and for sure the next bins ill make will be from normal wood :P

Ivar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2017 at 2:02pm
yeah thought so allready, but just some more sanding and screws should do it no? i hope
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 9:58am
Use dowels 6-7 on a side and try to make all your joints airtight with silane adhesive. I strictly recommend you to use polyether putty like this
Volnovod audio https://vk.com/kb_volnovod
Ivar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 1:36pm
but i allready filled everything with a normal woodfiller, you think thats gonna crumble of or something?

and the silane adhesive? i can only find that in big buckets for glueing wooden floors, is that what you mean?
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 3:09pm
I think he means a hybrid polymer such as ever builds stixall or evo sticks "sticks like sh*t" I wondered about using a polyurethane sealant like sikaflex or puraflex. Not sure what the advantages of each might be.   

I expect the filler you've used will be fine.

Edited by JonB67 - 06 February 2017 at 3:09pm
Ivar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:50pm
oke thanks guys this will get me through it! i think i might just sand of the thin layer with a belt sander or maybe an electrical planer.

Other quick question; i found 4 secondhand PD152 drivers for 300 euro's, think thats a good deal or maybe you guys know a better deal somewhere? cant find the new-price in the internet for these.
 Post Reply Post Reply