Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Complete beginner - 12V

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sisdem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete beginner - 12V
    Posted: 26 January 2017 at 10:19pm
I need all the help i can get starting up my 12v sound. 

I am hoping to take it out and play some venues with it, i will be playing roots/dub. 

Looking for advice on how to start up and plan it all out (i am a complete beginner on all things sound) 

I have found someone already who is going to build it for me,i just need to send him over a plan of what i want but i'm not sure what i want / need aha. 

I already have 2 x 12'' drivers that i bought for my scoops & a leisure battery. 

Bless xxxxxxx

I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 12:15am
Why 12v in venues? The only reason to use DC power is when you can't get AC, like in a forest or on a bicycle.

If you are going DC, look to use class D amplifiers - better quality car amplifiers, as you're a newbie. They use far less battery power than an inverter + AC amplifier. Also, don't believe the power ratings on car amps, they're usually peak into one ohm, on a good day.

As you've already started, what 12"s do you have?
sisdem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sisdem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 11:31pm
Well im looking use it both indoor and outdoors, i just want to start small as i don't have the experience all money to start a full sound just yet and im also doing it alone.

Yes i have been advised on getting the pioneer GM-D8604 car amp.

I have got 2 ''the box'' 12 inch drivers so far for my scoops. 

I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2017 at 9:57pm
The Pioneer is a decent enough class D (Alpine, & Kenwood are other brands to consider, avoid mostly anything else), but it's a 4 way amp, bridgeable to a stereo pair. You might want to look at mono car amps for bass duty, and run both speakers off the one channel in parallel: Class D car amps can drive 2 or 1 ohm loads better than AC amps, so two 12" will be fine. Assuming the 12" are about 250w &8ohm each, a 500 or 600w (into 4ohm) amplifier (probably marketed at four times that) will do you well.

Don't worry if you've already got a 4 channel amp, that'll work too, and cover whatever top cabinets you end up with. The good thing about (modern) car amplifiers is the in-built crossovers save you having to get a separate unit, and the bass amps have rudimentary parametric EQ.

I'm unsure if scoops are the best box for those drivers, but that's a whole different discussion, and one best had with someone more knowledgeable than I.
 Post Reply Post Reply