Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Odeon Cinema Brum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Odeon Cinema Brum
    Posted: 10 February 2017 at 6:58pm
stumbled across these pics of a mini exploration of the old Odeon cinema at Smallbrook Queensway in Birmingham.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 7:54pm
Wow,well done Kevin. I thought they were Altec style A4 cabinets,2x15 each,but the drivers are vertical in the photos.The A4 has them side by side.

Be seeing you.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 11:30pm
There have been talks to turn this into a club, I have been trying to get the vintage stuff in my hands for aaages. You bastards
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2017 at 12:02am
We did the last two shows with Go West at the Birmingham Odeon before it closed down---really sad because it was a great venue and right on our doorstep.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2017 at 12:21am
lol the guy in pic 3 looks a bit like jonny

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 11 February 2017 at 12:22am
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2017 at 5:47pm
Can't really see from the pics, but are those 2x15s because there were some 4x15s made and that would account for the vertical stacking of the drivers that can be seen.

Update. I've found more details about the cabs - I knew I had seen them before - they're Westrex 2084s. Obviously available in 2 flavours - the single 2x15 and the matched pairs 2x2x15 for increased output for larger venues. Details here:

Edit. Info about Westrex found on the Audioheritage page. The cabs in the Birmingham cinema were probably made by Vitavox under license.
(1) Westrex was the worldwide "Export" division of Western Electric.
(2) Westrex would have had to comply with the post WW2 trade laws of the " British CommonWealth" . Britain was in a "huge" recession for a long time after that war. As a result, her trade laws and her commonwealth partners were very protective and designed to encourage the establishment of "Branch-Plants' for manufacturing. Straight imports from the US of A were met with prohibitively high tarriffs .
It's extremely likely that VitaVox did licensed work for Western Electric - & meant strictly for trade within the confines of the British Commonwealth - New Zealand & Australia saw a lot of this stuff. 

Edited by jazomir - 18 March 2017 at 2:18pm
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply