Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Correct / compatible drivers for Mackie SRM1801
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correct / compatible drivers for Mackie SRM1801

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuart91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct / compatible drivers for Mackie SRM1801
    Posted: 16 February 2017 at 3:54pm
A customer has brought in some Mackie SRM1801 powered subs. At some point they've been fitted with replacement drivers, they're loaded with P-Audio IMF-HP18B at the moment. Link to some driver info here:   https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=P-Audio_IMF-HP18B_18_Inch_600W_Subwoofer&id=PAUIMFHP18B - https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=P-Audio_IMF-HP18B_18_Inch_600W_Subwoofer&id=PAUIMFHP18B

The customer has essentially inherited these boxes and is a little bit concerned about them. They brought them into us and we ran a few sweeps through them, I didn't notice any glaring problems. If anything they don't sound as smooth as I'd expect, but that's very subjective. The customer has complained of some rattles and buzzes which might not even be the cabinets themselves. 

Before we investigate any further I thought I'd canvass opinion here. Are these drivers suitable for the cabinets? Or is there anything more appropriate for the task that would be readily available? I've had a bit of a scour online and can't see OEM drivers anywhere. 

Edited by Stuart91 - 16 February 2017 at 3:55pm
MARTYNJONHALL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTYNJONHALL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 4:08pm
The Paudio HP18B are a great driver for the price and should do a job in the Mackie cab.

Original driver is a Mackie CY-2041539 and available here if they can get stock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTYNJONHALL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 4:10pm
Stuart91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuart91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 4:36pm
Thanks, Martyn. As you can probably tell I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to matching drivers to cabinets. Anything non-stock and I'm well out of my comfort zone. 

If the P-Audio drivers are going to do the job OK, I don't imagine there's anything much to be gained from "upgrading" to the originals? As far as I can tell they aren't being pushed particularly hard, so if they have lost a little in terms of overall output I doubt it'd matter. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTYNJONHALL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 12:00pm
I use the paudio drivers in some of my cabs and they perform brilliantly.

If it is rattles and buzzes I would think it would be the cab or the module vibrating. I bet you can only hear it close and from a guest point of view not hear it at all.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Stuart91 Stuart91 wrote:

The customer has essentially inherited these boxes and is a little bit concerned about them. They brought them into us and we ran a few sweeps through them, I didn't notice any glaring problems. If anything they don't sound as smooth as I'd expect, but that's very subjective. The customer has complained of some rattles and buzzes which might not even be the cabinets themselves.

I have one of these that has a buzz at higher drive levels, I believe it's just the module vibrating against the rear panel.. something that could be fixed with some thin foam or rubber tape. It's not uncommon to find some of the modules mounting screws are stripped too which will exasperate the problem, they're just driven into the wood.

These boxes have a peaked response, I have measured them and the curve looks similar to what is published in the user manual, and I believe the OEM driver is 4ohm.
 Post Reply Post Reply