Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bass Speaker Wire issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 1:21pm
I agree with that. Maybe consider also you have a dodgy voice coil that could be bouncing around and making an intermittent connection that could upset some amplifiers? Just guessing tbh.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 1:24pm
Well, sh*t got real last night at a wedding when I lost an iTech 6000 in spectacular fashion (pop, pop, pop with fire flashes) after removing one of the cables I'd thot was good from a bass bin while amp played moderately (yeah, I know about the hot disconnect and Neutrik not being rated) and replugging it into the alternate Speakon jack in the same box.

30 + years and have now lost 2 amps in 2 weeks. The only difference in my setup is my recent introduction of Speckle -finished Ohm 18" BR due to their stated hi efficiency and top hats making for a more "corporate' look over my usual Fane XB loaded carpeted T 18's. Gutted!
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

why are you so sure the problem was with the cable?

have you tried the amp since the gig?

I removed the load and the cable attached to the RAM caused a red 'Fault' LED on that channel.

Amp refuses to pwr on,even with the channels unplugged. The line fuse is intact.
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 4:11pm
sounds to me like you have found your problem , i imagine that the ohm bins might have pins 1 wired to pins 2 aswell thus you using a 4 core cable have plugged one amp channel into another.

some of the old martin em series did this , and also some logic IS series have the pins linked .
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 6:59pm
Think U've cracked it DJArch! Just confirmed that with the box. Arghh!!! What stupidity is that???
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2017 at 7:54pm
Hardly stupid if you have amps that are setup to output the same channel on all four pins, like a K20 - it means you get double the cable surface area.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 8:22am
This is why amps should have panonas and Patch panels have Speakon.

Wiring 1&2 together in an amp is IMHO a really crap ideal, bye to passive wedges etc in a heartbeat, if a single channel of HD speakon can't take full power from the amp either fit Panomas of multiple speakons, lesson to be learned here plugging cabs stright into amps without a patch panel is 2 bob...

Edited by shagnasty - 26 February 2017 at 8:22am
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 8:35am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Wiring 1&2 together in an amp is IMHO a really crap ideal, bye to passive wedges etc in a heartbeat, if a single channel of HD speakon can't take full power from the amp either fit Panomas of multiple speakons, lesson to be learned here plugging cabs stright into amps without a patch panel is 2 bob...

agreed tbh anything using other than the most basic set up should have a patch panel to make things easier, making and working out how you want the panel is probably one of the best hour [or ten in my case] you can spend thinking to save much time/hasstle/money fixing stuff later.
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

agreed tbh anything using other than the most basic set up should have a patch panel to make things easier, making and working out how you want the panel is probably one of the best hour [or ten in my case] you can spend thinking to save much time/hasstle/money fixing stuff later.

Just makes it harder to wire up your rig wrong blow stuff up, not that any of use ever get caught in traffic causing us to arrive late, do gigs tired, in poor light, have to wedge the amp rack under the the stairs in the corner of the stage, have different crew,  have a beer, wire stuff up while on the phone....... LOL
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 8:48am
lol if i make my patch panel right the only thing i can realy get wrong is mixing up left and right [so reverse sterio, not realy an issue at a rave type situation, more to the point easy fix o lasting damage] or mix up which channel is connected to which bin, not an issue realy. well not a broken amp/driver situation, also means your not having to fish about inside a rack your looking at a clean flar panel
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 4:46pm
Have to disagree Shags, if I'd made a patch panel and had both channels in one NL4 there would be no functional difference from plugging str8 into the amp.

Reason I don't use a rack patch panel is this is my small sound (4 JBL Eons, and 4 single bass) so space/size is a premium.

Would like to thank everyone for their help and comments.
This just shows the value of this community & how costly a wrong/incomplete investigation/diagnosis can be.

Cheers!

Edited by taurusty - 26 February 2017 at 4:47pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2017 at 5:08pm
Raw deal there seems someone has had a bright idea and not labelled it up correctly..

According to this should be on -1 +1 no mention of linked to -2+2

http://www.notape.net/files/eqs4/ohm-br18b/OHM-BR18B-cc43ee9.pdf

Linking pins whilst it might allow reduce power loss it sure seems like a stupid idea with disaster waiting to happen to the unwary.

I prefer the flexibility of Ponoma banana plugs and despite having to use them intensely dislike NL4 bring back the trusty ep4's of the good old days
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12