Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting a basic ravey lighting setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting a basic ravey lighting setup
    Posted: 21 March 2017 at 10:38am
I've been running my rig for a couple of years now and have been considering doing some dances in community type halls as well as my usual club gigs.

I need to put together a light setup of just a few items and was looking for some suggestions on what to get. A laser, smoke machine and a moonflower or something? Any suggestions much appreciated.
The venues would be for up to around 200 people.

A friend of mine has started his own brand of professional pa equipment and lighting and is working with a factory in china. If I get some specs and prices could the knowledgeable folks on here give their feedback on specs/ price of these lights? He said he'd do me a bundle deal. This might work out OK seeing as he's getting stuff direct from the factory in china.#

cheers
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 12:24pm
In my opinion, secondhand quality kit is a better route to go down rather than cheap new kit. Availability of parts, proven designs, hundreds of units in circulation. You can pick up some right bargains if you know where to look. Abstract twister 4's / Source Blades / Martin Destroyers are great moonflowers, and go for less than £50 each on ebay. Moving mirror (Scanner) lights are out of favour so are selling cheaply.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 12:38pm
Have a look at the Sniper style of fixtures, sort of a cross between a moonflower/goboflower type effect, and a laser emulator. Properly ravey.
I might even have some barely used ones for sale.... *cough*

Also echo what James says, I used to have a lot of Martin Destroyers/Punishers. The Twisters have better sound to light though.

Edited by norty303 - 27 March 2017 at 12:39pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 1:11pm
martin destroyers or if you want more power fal moonflowers
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 2:24pm
cheers guys, will start looking out on ebay... do let me know if you see anything though!

Norty, what sort of price are we talking?
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 2:37pm
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 4:17pm
Depends if you're looking for older lighting which is tried, tested and reliable together with heavy and involving periodic lamp replacement, spares for UK manufactured stuff normally available.

Old style - Twister 4, Monster Moon, most o fthe 250w+ moonflower type lights, the MAD PowerFlower 150 discharge moonflower is especially Good and heavy (don't go for the new led PowerFlower, underpowered and falls to pieces in transit). A lot of the Martin stuff was very good as well, also Lanta.

Or newer LED lighting which is lighter and doesn't involve new lamps, and is normally manufactured in China with an almost zero possibility of spares being available.

ADJ Revo fixtures either 3 or 4 are DMX and very good, the 4's will operate master/slave with a choice of display on the slave; same with Acme Impossibleds - I have 5 running. Major watch with both of those is the security of the very large plastic fresnel lens - easily scratched and pushed into the fixture.

Acme Miracled are a nice feature especially in multiples and I can recommend the ADJ Jelly Fish as well a smaller version of the same kind of light.

Best lights that I've purchased recently have been the multi-effect lights. There are several different manufacturers/models. Chauvet Swarm 5 and Swarm Wash, QTX Hadron, ADJ Stinger and Stinger II - there are more versions of the same lights.  They have a derby-type effect together with strobe and lasers, and the newest versions have UV as well.

Talking of UV, UV canons are nice if you don't handle them roughly and probably very good for what you're looking for, very cheap on eBay now. Don't go for the UV panels, unreliable and the UV light clouds the plastic front panel over the LEDs.  The CoB LED UV lights look to be good but are very expensive.

You'll smoke and or haze, a hazer is great - turn it on and forget it, I've just picked up an ADJ VF Volcano vertical fogger with led smoke illumination and it was deffo VFM.

Lastly I bought some no-name Spider versions like these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-RGBW-8x10W-LED-Spider-Beam-Moving-Head-Stage-Lighting-DJ-Disco-Party-Light-/112349664065?hash=item1a288fd341:g:9ZUAAOSw4CFYo8y6 and have been amazed at how good they are especially with some haze in the air.

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2017 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

I might even have some barely used ones for sale.... *cough*
Haven't seen Mr N around these parts for ages, and then he rocks up *COUGHING*

Do you remember the trouble I/you got in last time you coughed! Was it mad scans, or mini HPEs or something?

Anyway, good to see your still contributing to the knowledge base that is SP, been awfully quiet without you! Wink
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 12:52pm
Always happy to help Matt

Charlysays - drop me a PM, or click the link in my signature - there's a picture folder on my page with details, pics, etc. Can also message me there too, if you like that sort of thing.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
 Post Reply Post Reply