Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crown XTi's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 8:03am
At the moment exactly the same as the berry's the 4000 on a pair of P.audio 10s and another on the comps.

If I was running them on subs it may be a different matter.

The second 4000 will eventually power some new bass bins, replacing the powered subs I use.
One thing it has shown is that the clip lamp on the berries's seems to have been set very conservatively.

Tony
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 9:17am
Tony----When you run your new subs,run your rig in mono and connect one side to an EP2500 and the other to the Crown so that both amps see exactly the same signal for a fair comparison---I will tell you now that you are going to be in for a big suprise as the Berry will pee all over the Crown for depth, punch and an all round nice warm sound--Let me know how you get on or if you would like to borrow a pair of subs to compare them---cheers--John. 
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 11:59am
John,
     I have for many years been of the opinion that perceived differences in the sound of competently designed amplifiers are nothing more than figments of imagination.

I have a grudging respect for the Berry amps and whilst I cannot say the Berry's sound (to my ears) any worse than the Crowns by the same token the Crowns sound at least the equal of the Berries.

All of the listening was carried out using known reference CD's as I find it pretty difficult to do comparisons during live use.

Like I have said when using the Crowns on bass material maybe  my attitude may change but somehow I doubt it.
There seems to be some sort of myth about switchmode power supplies when used on bass and I personally think it is just that, a myth.

Tony

p.s. thanks for the offer of the subs. If I can get my finger out my new mid-tops and subs should be done in a months time.

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 18 May 2007 at 12:02pm
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 12:41pm
Yeah I know what you are saying Tony---We have been using a rack of four Berries on one of our Turbosound rigs for six months without any problems at all but a few suprised looks when "techies"have seen whats running the system---A good friend loaned me a four way XTI 4000 rack as he said it was embarrasing to send a pro Turbo rig out with Behringer amps, but after the third gig we relegated the Crowns to monitors and used the Berry monitor rack for driving FOH stacks for the rest of the tour as the Crowns sounded nothing like as good driving 2x18  4 ohm cabinets in bridge mono mode---I have now bought another load of QSC PLX amps to go on this rig so I now have nine Berry EP 2500 amps to get rid of---I agree entirely with you about the switchmode stigma, but after using QSC PLX amps for a long time now, I find them totally reliable and superb for driving clean punchy bottom end. 
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 5:23pm
John,
Sounds like we sorta agree,
I have been doing the Air Ambulance charity Gigs at the Stumble all this week and have surprised quite a few of the bands with the little mid-tops that I demo'd for you.

One band had a Mesa + 4*12" + 8x10" EBS both played balls-out and I still got the vocals over the top. That was monday night when I was still using the Berries, 170 pepes in the pub.
The Journey tribute inc. your mates from Stagecraft will be on tonight so may go down to see how pro's do it!!!

I will be back again Sunday with 2 bands but this time will be using the complete DB Tech active jobby . The band are insisting on seeing names on gear etc.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 18 May 2007 at 5:25pm
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 11:42am
Tell me about it Tony---We have a very nice EAW system which has no badges on the front, just plain looking cabinets from the front---On a few occasions now we have had comments from bands "sound engineers" and I use the term loosely, concerning the fact that we were not supplying well known big name equipment as agreed in riders etc---we get over this by telling them to go round the back of the stacks and have a look at the name on the back of the cabinets---did this a few weeks ago and the reply was "EAW---whats this crap--never heard of it"--you should have seen his face when we fired the system up with a mini disc.
There is so much Snobbery about name gear its untrue and yes, our Berry amps have drawn quite a few cooments--just about the only Berry item acceptable in the pro circuit are the old model compressor/limiters---anything else with Berry on it is frowned upon--I am sure there are quite a few members on here that have come across the same problem.
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Tell me about it Tony---We have a very nice EAW system which has no badges on the front, just plain looking cabinets from the front---On a few occasions now we have had comments from bands "sound engineers" and I use the term loosely, concerning the fact that we were not supplying well known big name equipment as agreed in riders etc---we get over this by telling them to go round the back of the stacks and have a look at the name on the back of the cabinets---did this a few weeks ago and the reply was "EAW---whats this crap--never heard of it"--you should have seen his face when we fired the system up with a mini disc.
There is so much Snobbery about name gear its untrue and yes, our Berry amps have drawn quite a few cooments--just about the only Berry item acceptable in the pro circuit are the old model compressor/limiters---anything else with Berry on it is frowned upon--I am sure there are quite a few members on here that have come across the same problem.

I have had people hand me a rider asking for wireless Shure Beta58 and bitch about being handed wireless Beta87.. Same tech asked for some comps and was fine with some Berry composers, but when I had patched them in he couldnt even figure out how to use them

Bit weird though..  I own the only 10 Void cabinets in the country and have never had any brand name issues with these..

My experience is that the DJs here are worse brand name whores than the band people.. Most of the band people just want to weed out the worst amateurs..

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123