Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Distro?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32true Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Distro?
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:43am
Hi everyone,
So I've got to the point where I need to work out how to power my amp rack and after browsing various threads I'm still unsure about what power distro to use.
So my system is 4 x PD1850 4 X pd158 and 2 x Turbosound floodlights. Powered by a Matrix XT7000MF, XT5000MF and 3 other amps I haven't bought yet.

I will be using the system in residential environments where all I have access to is 13A but then also commercial where 16A & 32A Ceeform's will be available.

Do I put a 32A distro on and use adaptors when running from 13A sockets?
Is the system too big to even use on 13A residential sockets?

Thanks
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:34am
You could run a Kelsey /VDC style PD7/32 - so everything in the rack is on a 13a plug top, but main in is a 32a ceeform. Then make yourself a 13>16a cable, and a 16>32a cable. Covers you for every eventuality, but enables you to run multiple lines to the amps directly when all you have is 13a supplies, that you can spread between sockets and circuits.

If you want a bit more juice to each amp, you could have the same distro with 16's or on the back I guess, and then you remove the 13a fuse and potential failure point. Then when you want to run individual ccts out, just use 16a extensions, with 13>16 jumpers at the source.

Sounds like you need to keep it as flexible as possible.

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:51pm
I would say you need to run distro appropriate to whatever the venue's supply is.

If the venue has got off its collective elbows, and actually has a 32A outlet, wonderful, kelsey 2U rack mount - perfect.

However, if your domestic 13A is all you have at your disposal, then it is decent quality 4 ways (3G1.5mm H07) and lots of them! Spread your amps evenly over the 13A supplies, so you don't pop a plug top fuse.

Either way, "Meter Your Mains" as has been oft said before. Simple plug in tester will show phase/neutral are the right way round, and you have some form of earth. More thorough metering requires knowledge of what you are trying to measure, and should be done, but "plug-ins" are better than nothing.

One benefit of a Kelsey is it has a rudimentary set of Neons that glow to show incoming supply is the right way round, and has some form of earth connection!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:58pm
We haven't popped a 13A fuse in literally 7 years. Adapters are fine as long as you aren't hanging a shitload of bass amps off the same one.
 Post Reply Post Reply