Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

enough power for 3 way sound system?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: enough power for 3 way sound system?
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:14pm
greeting all...

I;ve been completing a recent custom built sound system build for a jamaican vinyl music night we run in town...

system is sounding nice for the place ( medium sized bar ) and overall happy with the results.

I've been questioning now the overall power I'm pushing to the speakers and finding the best solution

current set up :

bass : 2 cubo15 speaker with JBL2226H 600W 8ohm in parallel, these are powered by one channel of a QSC2450 amp which is capable of 650W per channel at 4ohm

mid tops in  2 modified SMT212 design with one 12" and one 1" comp driver

mid:2 x 18sound 12" midrange driver 450W 8 ohm in parallel...powered by the other channel of the QSC2450 at 4 ohm

tops: 2 x b&C 1" DE250 8 ohm comp driver..off one channel of a QSC MX1500a..around 500W at 4ohm

we've been running this well without clipping issues and for the venue we are playing at the sound level is appropriate so I haven't been pushing the amps too much.

Although I feel like I'm under powering a bit the bass/mid section, meaning that in case I will need to use the sound in a situation where I can push amps and volume more I simply won't have enough power to supply the drivers..

One alternative configuration I'm thinking about is to bridge the QSC MX1500a ...this will push around 1500W most likely a bit less , and use this to power the bass section. Keeping an eye on not cranking the amp gain knob all the way , it should provide a more appropriate power level for those speakers...

Mid section sounds good now although the 650W of the QSC2450 are falling a bit short on the total 900W of the 2 12" drivers...

any suggestion,opinion or idea ?

thanks !

Post Reply Post Reply