Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lab Horn Alternatives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:02pm
That's a very great offer. Not sure I can accept though. Will have to think about possible logistics. I'm sure someone will have them off you though!
Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:46pm
I'm up for free labs :) Friends have a stack already, could add too that pile :)

Edited by Mrd999 - 12 May 2017 at 5:47pm
What goes around, comes around
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 12:59pm
If lab subs are too big for you then the only option is reflex or maybe tapped horn. Any front loaded horn that can get even to 40hz is going to be a big box.
loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 1:18am
I've got 6 drivers just lying around.

I'll gladly come and get them :D

Team DB
Sirius Sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 7:33pm
The problem is not so much that lab's are too big but that six of them is!

Been considering a few other options:

Gsubs - problem being that people say the mkii 186 drivers are not the same or as good as they were so the high rep of the gsub kinda goes out of the window.

Wicked one - very tempted by these based on what people are saying with regards to their suitability with 215s. Pretty put off though by the lack of proven durability of the beyma driver in the cabinet.

Tony ass's new bass horn - not asked the price yet but no doubt a solid choice.

Ligwa earthshakers - sound great but I really wanted a tight sound suitable for as many applications as possible.

Generally, I think it's optimistic to go for fully horn loaded. Would be nice but if it only sounds good outdoors, it doesn't really fit the bill. Plus my upper mids are sealed box so I really don't need a crazily loud cab for sub.

Any thoughts appreciated.

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 12:10am
"Wicked one "

Joke

"The problem is not so much that lab's are too big but that six of them is!"

If six are too big, remember any less would be unusable in a small venue.

I model tapped horns as 2x cabinets, usable as singles, or in quad stacks. Much better than a real horn for different sized venues.

My PPSL cabinets also work well in different sized spaces with one to six in a stack, and can be quite compact. My original PPSL were 107dB/2.83V/1M and a 4Ω load per pair, flat down to 30hz or so, and only 24" x 36" x 30". Six sheets yield four cabinets.

Edited by _djk_ - 26 July 2017 at 12:22am
djk
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 2:24am
Martin 215s are deep too, dubmanza use them with labs:
https://www.facebook.com/dubmanzasoundsystem
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 6:38pm
I like the sound of the ppsl design. Seems to be a method beat suited to sub so that's good and if it reduces the distortion compared to reflex then it suits my aims well. Have just seen there is an Ohm cabinet with that design and its spec is for 20hz to 40hz. Now that's a proper sub!

So, djk, I have two crest 10001 which I would like to run in parallel, not bridged, with which to fill the frequency gap below about 60 hz to 70 hz. This puts me in the market for drivers which fall between around 700w to 1kw rms..

Low extension is preferable to high spl. Flat response takes precedence over them both. Compactness is not necessary within reason.

Is there an existing ppsl design that matches this criteria?

Many thanks.. Probably a fair point about the wicked one BTW.. This ppsl sounds much more suitable.

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:40am
"Is there an existing ppsl design that matches this criteria?"

Unfortunately, no. The lowest tuned PPSL I have done was 27hz for quad 12's.

What brands of drivers do you have access to?

Probably the closest thing would be to do something similar to the largest Ohm with the BMS 18's.
djk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 6:49am
Well 27 hz is low enough. I live in UK but I don't mind getting drivers shipped from abroad,

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 9:56pm
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-st305-8-12-series-ii-woofer--295-120

I am having more of these made. They were $94 from Parts Express. Four in series parallel are 8Ω minimum at 27hz (Fb), and about 6Ω up at 170hz or so. I am also thinking about having them made in 4Ω as well, that way a single box would be 104dB/2.83V/1M for a high efficiency hi-fi alternative to a horn.

Edited by _djk_ - 29 July 2017 at 10:01pm
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12