Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 stack or 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 stack or 2
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:14pm
Next event is coming up in a month, another Club Classics night.
Were in a room with a capacity of 225.
I have a pair of bins, pair of kicks and a pair of tops.
The 'old' setup was a stack each side, but im wondering if there is anything to gain from having just one stack to the side of the DJ stand/ Im 'trying' to recreate a 90s club vibe without having to actually go to a club, so am open to options Smile
Thanks again for any help, one day I will move out of newbie into general Wink
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:21pm
Subs and kicks in the middle tops on the sides would be my choice . Soundwise i think its a much better setup then the usual 2 stacks,only problem is  you need to have something to put your tops high enough.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Subs and kicks in the middle tops on the sides would be my choice . Soundwise i think its a much better setup then the usual 2 stacks,only problem is  you need to have something to put your tops high enough.

Now thats something I hadnt thought about, I have stands that the tops can go on if needed (as the tops are used for the small rig)
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:14am
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

The 'old' setup was a stack each side, but im wondering if there is anything to gain from having just one stack to the side of the DJ stand/

There could be yes.. better cohesion, more kick, and more even coverage through the room, all depending upon the room size and dimensions and the location of your stack within the room.
Get there early and try out some of the options mentioned or if this is somewhere you will play again try a different setup each time... you never really know how well something will work until the room fills up.

Edited by Conanski - 11 May 2017 at 3:17am
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:57pm
Thank you both, we can normally get into the room early afternoon, so it shouldn't be too hard to try a couple of options out.
Didnt know if I was missing a trick somewhere along the line, now im not so much 'plug and play' I want to get the best out of what I have (even if it is blowing my mind half the time!)
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

you never really know how well something will work until the room fills up.

Take this bit into account as well, it's ridicolous how much of a change it can make in certain rooms.
I had venues where even the sub bass sounded horrible but it all got fixed when the room filled up, go figure.
Bass =/= Enough
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:40pm
it would help a lot if you specified more precisely what you have in terms of model/type designation if applicable, enclosure type (reflex/horn/?), processing + amps used and crossover frequencies.

All advice given above so far is of course valid. But people will be able to give you much better advice the more they know about your setup.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

it would help a lot if you specified more precisely what you have in terms of model/type designation if applicable, enclosure type (reflex/horn/?), processing + amps used and crossover frequencies.

All advice given above so far is of course valid. But people will be able to give you much better advice the more they know about your setup.

That would have been a good idea LOL

Current setup:

Bins - Dare DC600 Beyma 15G450N loaded 
Kicks - unknown box (its pictured further down the posts in the newbie section) Omega Pro-15A loaded
Tops - Ohm RW3 (not ideal but all I have to work with currently)
Processing - Peavey VSX26
Amps - Pulse APB2700 x2 for kicks and bins APB2100 for tops (or my Matrix UKP1300 depending on my mood)

Bins 40-100, kicks 100-200, RW3s taking everything above 200

This may very well be replaced by the following if they are built in time

Bins - Cubo 15 extended Beyma 15G450N loaded 
Kicks - Cubo 15 kicks Omega Pro-15A loaded
Tops - Ohm RW3 (in the future these will be replaced by a 'proper' mid top)

Amps, Processing staying the same

Edited by IainB - 11 May 2017 at 4:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply