Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x15" Below BMS 4590

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

The Tannoy VQ60 and VQ100 have the 4592 on a huge conical horn that enables the it to play down to 450hz to meet 2x12" BMS in a V-baffle. Extremely nice sounding boxes but the 2x12" gives up way before the 4592.

didnt tannoy offer a lowmid extension for exactly that reason?
4 proper mid 12"s balance with 1 4590 much better imo..
(at least with tony wilkes V4M theres a good balance+loads of lowmid headroom ;) )

Part of it was that reason, the other part was that they also offered a smaller version of the main cab with only 2 12's, which of course would mean the coax would outrun the low mids by an even bigger margin.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 3:40am
The 2x15" + 2" combo does work very well, I have some cabs with the B&C DE750 crossed at 1khz to 15" mid/bass drivers which run all the way down to 80-100hz where they are crossed to 18" reflex subs. It did take some PEQ to tame this combo but not as much as one would think, I have a couple notches at 90hz and 180hz, some delay on the 15's and 18's for time alignment to the horns, a high end shelf boost, and a broad/shallow midrange trough just to lay back the mids a little, it's just enough to create a slight smiley face curve and make them sound a little more hi-fi.
Compared to everything else I own(mostly 12+1 boxes) these things have a fat midbass sound and great punch, even at low output levels this system produces kick drum you can feel, I'm sure the time alignment has something to do with that.. plus all that cone area.

Edited by Conanski - 30 May 2017 at 3:45am
VisionIrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VisionIrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 11:50am
Vertx 
I am looking for a plan to build one sealed box for a BMS 4590 to use with a BMS 2236 horn, I like the look of yours, did you design it?, would you be able to share the design/plan measurements etc? Thanks. 
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by VisionIrie VisionIrie wrote:

Vertx 
I am looking for a plan to build one sealed box for a BMS 4590 to use with a BMS 2236 horn, I like the look of yours, did you design it?, would you be able to share the design/plan measurements etc? Thanks. 

Sure.

I'm using a slightly updated, smaller version with handles these days. It's not sealed but doesn't need to be.

Here are the DXF's for each part:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1voJvSbkAmLwJzzxpki1ZMJVdLCS-jFYJ?usp=sharing

Here is the 3D model:

http://a360.co/2p9QYUz

Plywood is 15mm

Edited by vertx - 08 July 2019 at 10:25pm
www.instagram.com/translate.sound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VisionIrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 1:50am
Thanks heaps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VisionIrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2019 at 12:48pm
yo Vertex, thanks again for the design, I just finished the wooden work on the box, going to wire it soon
Question: do you use a crossover inside the box with the BMS4590?
My system consists of:
2x PD1850 scoops
2x RCF 15" BBC215.BR
2x Fane 12" Sealed angled box (fane design)
1x BMS 4590 on BMS 2236 horn (your design)

I have a speaker management system to adjust the crossover points, does that mean I don't need a crossover inside the box to wire the BMS4590? 
Still learning the best way to run it, any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by VisionIrie VisionIrie wrote:

yo Vertex, thanks again for the design, I just finished the wooden work on the box, going to wire it soon
Question: do you use a crossover inside the box with the BMS4590?
My system consists of:
2x PD1850 scoops
2x RCF 15" BBC215.BR
2x Fane 12" Sealed angled box (fane design)
1x BMS 4590 on BMS 2236 horn (your design)

I have a speaker management system to adjust the crossover points, does that mean I don't need a crossover inside the box to wire the BMS4590? 
Still learning the best way to run it, any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

I use the crossover for the 4590 that BMS provide, "4590P". I think it crosses the two units at around 6.3K and sounds OK. If you have a good external processing unit use FIR (and bi-amp) as I hear it's much much better.

I highpass them at around 590hz to a single 15" with a 24LR slope. They need some cuts around 3-4khz and some highshelf EQ from 8/9Khz upwards. Best thing you can do is to get a copy of REW and a $100 measurement mic and have a look for yourself and EQ to taste.
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123