Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wood Stain & Plastic Coating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32true Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood Stain & Plastic Coating
    Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:44pm
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to finish 4x Birch Ply HD15's 
I want to apply some sort of woodstain then finish with a 3 coats of Rustin's Plastic Coating.
Any recommendations for a wood stain? Will the ronseal stuff on B&Q work out okay and can the plastic coating cover it well? I'm unsure what type of stain to go for
I want somewhere between the 2 colours on the right. The picture below was actually stained using different coats of tea, but I'm worried tea might go blotchy

cheers
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:55pm
I've used wood stain under Rustins on some interior doors, worked well. Can't remember the brand though - was from Homebase, rectangular tin. Rustins do a wood dye which should work too.
32true View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32true Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:02pm
ah nice one, didn't realise Rustins did their own dyes. just had a google and there's a nice selection

Prizefighter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 12:03am
If you have adequate ventilation in the space you'll be staining, a nice oil-based stain will probably look the best if you're going for that classic stained wood look. I haven't used any gel stains, and the only water-based stains I've used have been non-wood colors, but you might want to check out those options as well (especially if you don't want your home to stink for a week).

Whichever option you go for, PRE-STAIN is a must if you want a nice and even non-blotchy look. Make sure you get an oil-based pre-stain if you're using oil-based stain and water-based pre-stain for water-based stain (seems obvious, but important enough to mention anyway). The Minwax pre-stain I've used recommends leaving on the wood about 2 hours before applying stain, but I've had better results waiting a full 24 hours, letting the pre-stain penetrate nice and deep into the birch grain.

The tea finish may look nice, but I wouldn't recommend using it, as the water will soften the surface grain and cause problems with the lacquer finish. 

I don't have any experience with the plastic coating product you mentioned, but you may want to consider something like spar urethane as an alternative (used on all my cabs). This is an exterior/marine-grade urethane that can be built up into a strong, thick finish (brushing on multiple thin layers) and the natural oils condition the wood and expand naturally with the wood depending on humidity. It does have a slight amber tint to it (due to the natural oils), but this won't really affect the wood stain too much (in fact I think it adds something nice to the end result). The spar urethane does have a fairly strong vapor odor, though, so if you can't finish your cabs outside or in a well-ventilated space, the Rustin's may be a better option. You do have four cabs to finish, after all, so if you decide to try out both be sure to tell us the winner!
Be a Prizefighter instead of a Dancecrasher!
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 11:03am
Be aware that the Rustins product is not suitable for long term outdoor protection.

I used some on a birch ply house number plate as I had some open and just assumed it would be up to it but a few years late and it looks like it wasn't treated at all.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply