Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lack of sizzle in midtops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 9:42am
How are you time aligning those with a passive crossover?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 10:18am
The ME90 is a CD horn, have you applied any CD correction eq?

Edited by APW - 07 June 2017 at 10:22am
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 12:31pm
Hi, the only EQ I applied so far is a bit of a boost in the 2,4-2,8kHz area.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 12:43pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

How are you time aligning those with a passive crossover?

Are you a heathen? Time aligning any sound system will destroy it´s character!  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by r.G r.G wrote:

this driver normally does not lack at all at that freq. .. look at some measurements..
where and how do you cross over to the 12"s? Are the horns properly arrayed? Do you really think you need to emphasise the 2khz region to satisfy you? (if so buy some de85s or the like, they distort "nicely" and have potential to deafen immediately at that range :) ) + bullets ontop like many others, job done.
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

Originally posted by r.G r.G wrote:

this driver normally does not lack at all at that freq. .. look at some measurements..
where and how do you cross over to the 12"s? Are the horns properly arrayed? Do you really think you need to emphasise the 2khz region to satisfy you? (if so buy some de85s or the like, they distort "nicely" and have potential to deafen immediately at that range :) ) + bullets ontop like many others, job done.

Hi, I only applied EQ there for testing purposes to hear how it sounds. 12"s are crossed over at 1,25kHz. At the moment, there's not much to array as I only have one top. I had a play with the EQ and boosted the top end a little and a wide Q parametric cut at about 3khz, as you suggested. Also made some minor changes in the gain structure. Overall the sound improved quite a bit. I'm not 100% happy with it yet, but further testing and experimenting may do it. 
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 10:14pm
as long as you are not going mad on levels/spl those bms could do with quite a lot of high shelf imo to sound crisp/sharp enough up high to our old ears.. if you like the the 2khz`ish "slam/distortion" you could just add a rather steep highshelf above 5khz and work on/eq the unpleasant resonances to your taste?!
r.G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

as long as you are not going mad on levels/spl those bms could do with quite a lot of high shelf imo to sound crisp/sharp enough up high to our old ears.. if you like the the 2khz`ish "slam/distortion" you could just add a rather steep highshelf above 5khz and work on/eq the unpleasant resonances to your taste?!

I will try around when I'm recovered and can carry racks/speakers again. Thanks for all the advice in this thread so far!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12