Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohm TRS Components

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 3:15pm
Thanks Pasi, that's really helpful. You are right, I'm a little concerned the sub amps won't provide enough juice to get the most out of them, to run the tops I think is fine, but a little worried about the bins. I'm thinking of upgrading the sub amps to MC2 E45 to cater for the more top end of the scale 2500W into 4ohms but then setting the limiter carefully which I think might work better??

Edited by PAHS - 04 July 2017 at 3:16pm
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 3:47pm
218 is a 1000W box really
PAHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 4:25pm
Spongebox would you r commend sticking to the QSSC amp for the subs?
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 4:28pm
QSC is fine and you won't notice the difference between that and E45, so save your money.

TRS is officially 1250W continuous so 1400W amp is just fine, adding more will give you just more thermal compression and not real benefit at all.
PAHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 4:55pm
Ok that sounds reasonable - what about limiter settings? I've tried numerous calculators and all say something different ... but I'd rather be safe than sorry ... any ideas?
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 7:08pm
Mr Pasi is wholly more qualified and experienced to talk on the subject than myself.

I've never blown a 218 driver in a good few years of running TRS, but have always stuck to calculating limiters @ 1000W a box. I have seen many, many TRS cabinets with (what I can only assume to be the "usual" post-failure condition) of the voice coil sticking out of the magnet vent hole

Edited by spongebob - 04 July 2017 at 7:09pm
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 8:09pm
I have a PL4 running 1 x TRS218 per ch in an install and it runs it just fine.
Nice pairing actually.
PAHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 12:25pm
Thank you all for your responses, really helpful. Pleasing to hear that the pl4 drives the TRS218 nicely - from my calculations it seems that the tops should be limited by 1 dbu based on 500w speakers and the bins to 0 dbu based on 1000w speakers - doesn't quite seem right some how??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12