Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SATA HHD Connector Failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SATA HHD Connector Failure
    Posted: 06 July 2017 at 9:28am
This may be of interest to some of you if your HDD SATA connector gets damaged.

Blew my PC up a few days ago - power supply blew on the PC and while I had the sides off to fit the replacement I cleaned the insides and re-seated all the connectors and unfortunately damaged the SATA connection on the HDD in the process. Apparently this is a common problem as a tiny piece of plastic covering the pins on the connector breaks and there are quick fixes/bodges to correct the problem. Took it to local repair shop and they couldn't get the cable to fix to the broken connector so they suggested trying a micro soldering job to fix the damaged pin with all the attendant risks. Decided this was too risky so worked out a way to make a repair (temporary) and replace the damaged HDD.

Total cost £103 to include new 1TB HDD (£47), new Power Supply (£27), subscription to EaseUS Partition Master V12 Professional (£29) which is used to clone the old HDD. Only other things I needed were BluTack, Sellotape & a 10m ethernet cable (borrowed from my daughter's KODI box) to stretch from my TV's ethernet point to my work bench (dining table)...oh, and patience a from my wife to endure my screams/swearing etc when I realised I couldn't simply type in License Codes they had to be cut/pasted which is difficult without network access (hence the need for the cable).

Method is as you would expect - the clever bit was fixing the connector in place with BluTack (I would use SuGru in future as it would hold the connector in place permanently obviating the need for a new drive) and sellotape and sandwiching the whole thing front, back and top with heavy food cans (other household objects or even small clamps can be used) to prevent movement and the pins dislodging during the recovery/cloning process. And now I have a spare  1 TB disk with all my data/apps/software on if I have a major problem in the future.

Simples!
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply