Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

battery problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery problem
    Posted: 06 July 2017 at 4:21pm
Hi

I noticed the battery life had started to deteriorate on my portable speaker

http://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/aps15pa/portable-pa-system-15-usb-sd-fm/dp/DP33511

the battery is one of these

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/TAICO-12V12Ah-rechargeable-Lead-Acid-Battery_850045303.html

I removed it and measured the voltage with a good meter and it said 13.5V

popped the caps of the cells and they were all completely dry. so I filled up with de-ionised water and left a small air gap at the top of each cell and put the caps back on. measured the voltage and it was 13V

left it a couple of hours and then noticed that one of the rubber caps had blown off and some water had come out of one of the cells. checked the other cells. a couple hissed as I took the cap off and released gas. but one of them the water level had actually gone down significantly so I topped it up again. measured the voltage and it was now only 9V

checked the speaker charging circuit with the battery out and it is 18V !

put the battery back in and turned the charging circuit on. voltage measured as 12V across the battery but within a few seconds I hear hissing noises so I disconnect the battery.

I've ordered a battery protection circuit to stop overcharging which will hopefully stop the battery going dry again:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Battery-Controller-Anti-Over-Discharge-Against-Overcharge-Protection-Board/141749332295?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

does the battery I have sound knackered or should I keep trying to recharge it?

cheers
Phil

darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 4:54pm
Is the 7th post down relevant? http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=145231.0

I know nothing about this topic, but it seems you'd need to know more about the specific construction of that battery (i.e. is it "real" AGM?) in order to answer this correctly.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 12:59am
ah, spec sheet says 'Separators – Advanced AGM separators for high pressure cell design'

probably shouldn't have filled them with water LOL. what now? guess I will try and charge it with the caps off and see if I can gas the liquid back off. probably best done outdoors...
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 1:01am
new battery is £20 and looks identical but different brand:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leoch-LP12-12-Sealed-Lead-Acid-12V-Battery-/272630970437?epid=647491713&hash=item3f7a127845:g:LvQAAOSwhcJWNJZY

still concerned about 18V charging circuit...surely that will bugger any battery

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 3:36pm
Lead acid chargers can have quite a high open circuit voltage but it sags under load down to more reasonable values. My 5A model finishes charge at about 13.5v but reads about 17v unloaded.

You probably haven't helped matters by adding deionised water - in sealed lead-acids the electrolyte is either a semi-solid gel or absorbed into fibreglass, both of which need exactly the right amount of water to stay stable. It's likely your added water has dissolved enough electrolyte to become conductive, and is now shorting out plates which should be separated. 

Buy a lithium battery ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 10:25am
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2017 at 7:42pm
Hi, I've had quite alot of experience with agm and know about gel batteries.
Agm's and gels are very sensitive to charge voltage, if a gel is charged beyond 14.6v the gel gets lifted off the plate due to gas forming. This ruin's the battery. As the battery charged and the voltage rises the charger See's less load and voltage climbs to dangerous ( for the battery) levels. Gel charger's have very specific cutoff point's.
Agm's are slightly more forgiving but prolonged high voltage at the end of charge premotes gasing which eventually gets released by the valves (vrla battery) in the battery case. This then causes electrolyte loss and premature drying. Flooded batteries need high voltage occasionally to mix the electrolyte. Absolute max for agm is 14.8 v
Hope this helps
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2017 at 10:19pm
thanks. got a new battery and was being really careful not to overcharge it and then forgot one time and left it on charge for two days. can't find a good pre-made charge circuit to wire in so looking at making one now. f knows why the product doesn't come with an auto cut-off. or why batteries don't have one built in for that matter.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2017 at 10:35pm
I use 16 175ah agm batteries for my solar set up and absolutely hate them. Expensive, heavy and prone to failure. No wonder Excide Corp shelved better tec (such as NiFe batteries) in favour of the limited life span crap we have to buy. But yeah, agm and gel really could do with BMS like lithium cells require. Can't advise on a charger circuit tho, sorry. I think the suggestion to go lithium is a good one tbh, less weight, better power density and good life span if treated well. Comment about limited life span of lead acid batteries is for stuff we use, not huge telecom back up gear which lasts 20years +....
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2017 at 10:37pm
A one-off  over charge shouldn't be too much of a problem
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 1:09pm
I've decided to give up fitting a charge-protection circuit inside the speaker. It has 12V terminals on the back which I have attached a solar charger to. so rather than plug a kettle lead into it I can just parallel a decent mains powered battery charger to the 12V terminals.
 Post Reply Post Reply