Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retractable Handle Bars for 1850

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FedX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retractable Handle Bars for 1850
    Posted: 07 July 2017 at 7:56am
Hello,

I will build to 1850 Horns out of 18mm multiplex Birch and 19mm MDF.

I want to attach Handle Bars like theese: https://www.thomann.de/de/adam_hall_3400_schalengriff.htm?glp=1&gclid=CMTTvcfI9tQCFVIaGwodxrQPVg

But this kind of handles will will cross the inner horn tube, does that has any  negative effect to the sound ?

Another Question is how to stack a pair. I thougt of a high stack with the upper horn standing upside down on the top of the lower Horn to double the horn mouth. But that meens that one Speker has to work up side down and the other upright, does that matter ?
Heres a picture of my CAD modell to understand what i mean Big smile http://imgur.com/a/HwXwF

Regards
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 6:50pm
It depends which part of the horn path, but generally speaking, no.

Unless it's right near the throat it shouldn't be a problem.

Imagine the cross sectional area of the horn path where the handle is, and think of how much of that handle cup is actually going to be obstructing it. Once you've gone through 18mm of wood you're looking at maybe 10cm x 4cm out of say 56 x whatever the width of the horn path at that point. If it's 10cm at that point then you have a 40sq cm obstruction in a 560sq cm cross section. 

The only point at which it could possibly be a worry would be if it caused the horn path expansion to go into reverse. In 95% of positions it will at worst slow the rate of expansion a tiny fraction for a couple of cm. That's just not audible.

Stacking speakers upside down and on their sides definitely doesn't have any notable detrimental effect, but there are differing schools of thought on which is the best way for each bin. A lot of it's down to personal preference, so as a rule of thumb I'd say stack them in the way that's most convenient and pleasing to you.

Edited by Hemisphere - 07 July 2017 at 6:54pm
FedX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FedX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2017 at 9:42am
Great thanks :)
 Post Reply Post Reply