Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dimmer rack wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dimmer rack wiring
    Posted: 23 July 2017 at 10:42pm
One of the jobs on my to do list when time and money allow, is to rewire my dimmer rack.
Specifically the mains input.
The rack consists of three 6x10amp pulsar dimmers which currently have 63 single ceeforms fitted to each dimmer on cables.
I was thinking of having a 63a 3phase plug on a panel on the back of the rack with circuit breakers for each dimmer, and then re wire the dimmers to 3 phase configuration.
However sometimes I don't have 3 phase power available and need to run the dimmers from a single phase supply, and I can't think of the best way to cater for both scenarios.

I don't ever fully load the dimmers as I don't have enough lights, but I'd rather have it so it could do if needs be.
Any suggestions?
100% Earth Moving Bass
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 11:43pm
If you have three of these dimmers what do you gain by wiring each to run on 3ph?

Could you not just buy or build a 63/3ph - 3 x 63/1ph distro and when you have no 3ph supply just connect however you do now.

I would go 63A RCBO per output if you are building / specifying the distro.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:07am
The idea is to do away with 3 loose coils of cable each with a 63 single plug crammed into the back of the rack, and build a fixed distro panel.
It makes more sense to me to use a single 63/3 connector rather than 3 63/1 connector which would also be expensive.
If I were to then have 3 phase coming into the rack I may as well wire the dimmers for 3 phase.
The other way I thought of is to leave the dimmers wired for single and wire 1 complete dimmer to each phase, and make up an adapter that has maybe a 63 single plug that connects to just one live and neutral plus earth in a 3phase socket so just one dimmer can be powered for smaller jobs.

100% Earth Moving Bass
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:06am
I would wire each pack as three phase, and then just have an input jumper that goes from 63/1 to 63/3 with the phase conductors linked. No repatching, all channels available if you are only running small loads
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 2:53pm
I'd thought of that as an option too, probably the best way to do it. Only thing I wondered about was if the terminals inside the 3 phase plug would accept 2 wires to do the links?
100% Earth Moving Bass
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:37pm
Small busbar in a rubber box project box might be the way to go. If you are buying rather than diy see what solutions ses / rubberbox / etc offer. Certainly the single to three phase (all linked) jumpers I have are ferruled cable links. Short jumper, therefore you won't need to use 16mm, 10mm may be suitable, check your manufacturer's cable specs.
 Post Reply Post Reply