Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

21DS115 subwoofer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21DS115 subwoofer
    Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:29pm
Finally!
As a regular basshead, after playing some time with 18SW115, I decided to get MOAR.
At the exact moment, I found the very new 21DS115 of B&C, so it was inevitable to get it.
The weight, motor force, price, displacement volume, everything worked for me. So after constantly looking at 21SW152, I didn´t have to hesitate this time.
Had some doubts about parameters, certain qualities and Al voice coil, but it seems it´s all better than expected.
I´d say the speaker behaves exceptionally well and better compared to older B&C designs. With its high Qms, it likes to go deep in spite of very low Qes.

I needed to make it "mobile", so one crazy guy could move it.
Ended up with modified B&C SUB21 design. It´s stlightly smaller, better for handling, and it´s tuned lower. (33Hz without padding, 31Hz with padding).
I believe it´s 44-46kg box. Will find out later.
I´ll use it mostly for movies and music at home, but I want it to outgun near possible competition (PC speakers) to utter shame, and I want it to last bad ideas like "let´s blast it". PC speakers could not do that. Also while playing CounterStrike, I want to feel every single bullet as if it hit me in real life, and oh, grenades....

In the meantime, I don´t have sufficient amp to use this beast to full potential, but 1500W will do a lot too.
Here are some images.

Pic1

Pic2

Here is the outcome after heavy (13db) DSPing for home usage:
http://www.picfront.org/d/9AR3
Goes to 20Hz -3db in the room with two ports stuffed. Still rattles things at around 16Hz.

I don´t see any next step in PA drivers. But going deeper and deeper would propably require another band to cover upper range. With lower tuning, impedance around 90-100Hz goes very low, and the speaker would sound muddier a bit. Good thing is that cutting it at 35Hz and not cutting it so much at 90-100Hz works well for fast beats like Psytrance etc...

Edited by Crashpc - 24 July 2017 at 7:31pm
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:35pm
Nice
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:40pm
Nice indeed Clap .
Wish i had some extra cash for some "experiments" like this...or anything really LOL
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:22am
Sypa: It's not that I have extra cash. I just HAD TO DO IT. I believe that one Dayton Ultimax 15" would be fair and sufficient, but not having so much fun in life wasn't the way... I'll propably have most joy from scared faces of random people coming to my house, seeing this beasty gadget. :-)
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
 Post Reply Post Reply