Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

slow computer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:43pm
Why is this obsession with reinstalling Windows??

I installed win7 on my aging laptop on an SSD (as it was the right side of the IDE/SATA change over) and I have never had to reinstall anything! If you just used a half decent browser and a basic A/V (NOT, I REPEAT NOT AVG!!) and your common sense your PC will always be fine and never sluggish... and mine gets used a fair bit!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:03am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Have you ever seen how absolutely appalling Microsoft's house keeping was regarding Win7 updates and general software and driver installation/uninstallation? Dead
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Have you ever seen how absolutely appalling Microsoft's house keeping was regarding Win7 updates and general software and driver installation/uninstallation? Dead

It's running flawlessly on my aging HP laptop... I manually clear out a few caches every now and again but other then that not one single problem!
That's It!
On my now non used pc I installed it once years ago and never reinstalled it either! Again, worked flawlessly. It's people's misuse of a fairly simple system and then blaming the system when it starts falling apart that I find funny!
It's by no means the best OS out there but just very very simple protocol keeps it running fine with very little third party software use for "optimising".

..kaspersky is resource hungry in my opinion and blocks the use of my own software and tweaked settings which is a pain in the....
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:31pm

It's people's misuse of a fairly simple system and then blaming the system when it starts falling apart that I find funny!
It's by no means the best OS out there but just very very simple protocol keeps it running fine with very little third party software use for "optimising".

I disagree. I also haven't needed to reinstall in recent years and generally don't run a hire party AV. However just because something works for you doesn't mean it's the same for others.

I've spent the last few days messing around with .NET framework package installs... Package management isn't easy so it can go wrong easily. I've had to reinstall Linux and Windows PCs just cos it was the easier option than unpicking it all.

Re. the fan noise - my computer's been the same recently. I think it's a combo of dodgy bearings plus recent warm weather.

Edited by darkmatter - 27 July 2017 at 12:32pm
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 8:25pm
Seconded and Again I recommend installing advanced system care to show you exactly how bad all windows Os's not just 7 are at housekeeping. My pc left on will develop over 200 issues over the course of a week without even using it. You're pc may seem to run flawlessly but it will get slower all the time as the registry fills with invalid and corrupt entry's.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 8:34pm
I disagree in regards to anti virus. I have had all of them, so far Avg is the only one that hasn't failed me and allowed virus's. Mcafee and kaspersky failed miserably for me. AVG 3 years now not a single virus detected.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

It shows 4Gb with 2.99Gb useable. Not sure what that means.

Task manager shows between 30% and 50%

Check the windows versions. 64bit/32bit/x86.
There was something with wrong translations between them so the OS couldnt use the whole ram.

Do yo "shut down" pc or "sleep" it?
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 12:33pm
The Win 7 updates issue is long fixed.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3086811/microsoft-windows/microsoft-releases-kb-3161647-kb-3161608-to-fix-slow-windows-7-update-scans.html

See my posts below in detail.  That IObit suite is OK too, BUT make sure it's got from the right place.

https://forum.speakerplans.com/laptop-trouble_topic97251.html

32 bit Win install will only SHOW 2.9 to 3.4 RAM. This is OK on 32, 64 bit needs 4gb proper at least now.  Eset make the best anti virus IMHO period and I have it on 100 plus desks. AVG and Avast have gone to the dogs, McDafty is a **nt etc..
It's everything, not everythink!
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2017 at 11:17pm
Could also be a dodgy ethernet cable. I had this problem a couple of years ago when may daughter's Chihuahua chewed the CAT5 link to my router. Also, if you have it, Ashampoo Win Optimiser5 is quite a useful tool for cleaning up dodgy registry entries that can also cause stress on your HDD and help identify other problem areas. (Pretty much all the fuctionality in WO5 is available  through 'Windows Administrative Tools' - WO5 simply forms a nice front end for it.)
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 11:43am
yes, dogs and CAT5 have never got on well together
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

yes, dogs and CAT5 have never got on well together
Arf, arf!!
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12