Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C Sub 18 plan internal volume

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&C Sub 18 plan internal volume
    Posted: 27 July 2017 at 9:59am
I have done some calculations and the results ar not as stated in the plan.

Internal volume of the box 47 x 70 x 61=200,69 Liters total internal volum.

Port volume is 30,2 x 47 x 13,8=19,58 Liters

200,69 - 19.58 -7 liters(volume of the 18 inch driver I use)-2l bracing and we end up with 172 liters , not 183 liters as the design stated.

Am I correct?

Also, what would be the tuning , if the internal volume is not as stated in the design?
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:04pm
The enclosure shown in the plan has no driver and no bracing, hence the 183l. (Actually about 181l).

If you are that worried simply make the enclosure slightly bigger.

I doubt it would make much difference as the T/S parameters of the driver your planning on using are probably not exactly as stated on the spec sheet. Some of those parameters can vary by as much as ±20%!!!

Which driver are you planning on using?

Edited by djeddie - 27 July 2017 at 7:05pm
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:46pm
At this volume, 11l of  air will propably move the box tuning in between 0,6-0,8Hz. That´s nothing...
Don´t get caught into details like that too much, unless you´re developing something on purpose.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
Foca_Dacian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 10:48am
I will be using Faital Pro 18HP1010-4 ohm version:
Simulations are similar to B&C 18TBX100,except F3 @ 37 Hz with 18TBX100 and F3@ 43 Hz with the Faital.
If I tune to 40 hz ,then I get F3 @39 Hz with the Faital.

How do I simm the ports from the B&C Sub18?
The software tells me the port needs to be 532 mm deep for 35 hz tuning, I am probabilly doing something wrong,I have simmed two ports with the area of 27000 sqmm.

Actually what I am interested is , how short do I need to make the ports for 40 hz tuning?

That was why I was calculating volume really precise, beacouse something does not add up.

I would appreciate some help with this.

Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 11:17am
You cannot sim triangular ports really. You propably need to develop your box and measure the outcome. Good thing about ports is, that you can make it shorter at first, and then add lenght to it, until you´re where you want to be. So your development box can become your final box...
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 12:05pm
The ports are rectangular on this plan,this is the b&c sub18 plan:

Edited by Foca_Dacian - 28 July 2017 at 12:07pm
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 2:32pm
Oh, these... I had different construction in mind. You still cannot simulate it very well in most simulators, because these don´t count with friction and "port enlongation" as few walls all of it continue in its way as part of the enclosure. So my post holds in a same way, no matter what shape it is....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 2:48pm
What can I use to measure the impedance plot and see where the tuning is?
I'll start by making the port 30 mm shorter than in the plan and go from there.

Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 3:39pm
It´s quite easy. Download Arta software (Limp is inside, and you need that one).
Make hardware setup seen in the help, section 3 - Measurement setup, first image.
You need just some wire, 50-120 Ohm resistor, and two jacks for your soundcard. Then you make your software setup - pick audio devices and write in the resistance used, and which channel is which. If you´re lucky, you´re done in 15 minutes.

Then you can measure (Play button). Lowest impedance between two peaks of the bassreflex enclosure shows you the tuning. Phase at 0° at this tuning might be more exact than impedance. You can compare...
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Crashpc Crashpc wrote:

It´s quite easy. Download Arta software (Limp is inside, and you need that one).
Make hardware setup seen in the help, section 3 - Measurement setup, first image.
You need just some wire, 50-120 Ohm resistor, and two jacks for your soundcard. Then you make your software setup - pick audio devices and write in the resistance used, and which channel is which. If you´re lucky, you´re done in 15 minutes.

Then you can measure (Play button). Lowest impedance between two peaks of the bassreflex enclosure shows you the tuning. Phase at 0° at this tuning might be more exact than impedance. You can compare...

...sound simple enough... can I do this with a driver in free air to find it's us parameters?
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2017 at 6:58am
Yes. With added mass method, you can measure TS parameters too.
 Post Reply Post Reply