Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do Danley speakers work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 9:11pm
When dealing with mounting the 4" drivers close enough to the comp driver you end up with physical barriers not just the ports themselves! It's bloody tight in there as we found out doing our Unity Horns.

Also Toasty is right about the ports for the low 15" drivers, the ones nearest the mouth are a bandpass from the back of the driver but they all combine as a tapped horn. We only use 2 x 10" in ours and I'm still not happy with the port tuning... maybe a Mkiii will stop my curiosity !
Overall our attempt at Unities are by no means perfect and we use an analogue electrical crossover compared to the original passive design, but in trying to fathom them out I have an even greater respect for Mr Danley's work.

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 9:45pm
Wow. They even look like art on the inside. There's something very classy about Danley's designs. I'm sure the function comes before the form but there certainly seems to be due attention given to the form in the design process as well.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2017 at 9:49pm
Phil, have you done a little sneaky and looked at the settings for the bi-amp or non-passive boxes in the range that are held in the Danley DSP? They're locked of course but there's always a nice linear DI box and transfer function…

Once you see where and what Tom's EQ choices are, especially compared to the phase response of the drivers on the horn, it might make life a little easier on your own versions.

Also for the curious, here's the first combiner Tom mentions for the Jericho, this is the visible exit for the J1-94:

And from the rear:

Edited by toastyghost - 22 August 2017 at 9:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456