Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

double 12 inch+1,4 inch plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

You've got a few form options to choose form, I'm just randomly Googling though so no plans but there are plans out there for designs like this, and you could design your own without a huge amount of effort.. This one is quite popular:  (not the 8" + 1" part, but the V shape baffle for the 12's, horn assists them slightly I think, and there are some other acoustic benefits involved too I think.

I didn't realise there were pics of that on the net! (Edit: turns out it's hosted on my own site LOL)  That's as far as that prototype got.  Twin 12 had a hell of a kick to it!

My other twin 12+1.4 is a bit more conventional, don't have any pics to hand unfortunately.

But you might want to look at this which is very similar:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSKIT2214&browsemode=manufacturer

Edited by ceharden - 15 August 2017 at 9:04pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Hmm.. another blocked off Photobucket picture. There is a way around it I'm sure, but I don't know it.

And there are plans and build pics in that thread but Photobucket has screwed them. I didn't work out how you  can access those blocked pictures yet but I think there is a way. That's a serious option to consider. Great sound and seriously loud.

In Chrome at least: Right click on the "Please update your account" image and "open image in new tab" - that'll take you to the photofuckit page where the image is hosted, then do the same again.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 3:00pm
P Audio have a box plan on their website with plenty space for the HF flare you're using: http://www.paudiothailand.com/pac/index.cfm/system-designs/.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

My other twin 12+1.4 is a bit more conventional, don't have any pics to hand unfortunately.

Hope you don't mind but I snagged a copy when you posted way back when:

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Foca_Dacian Foca_Dacian wrote:

I have not studied the effects of putting the ports on the back of the cabinet.
I have ports on the back on my HS8 yamaha monitors,and they sound ok, but I have not seen any on pro audio tops.
Could you explain a bit about what happens in this case?

As long as A: the tuning frequency of the ports is sensibly low (ie not up in the hundreds of Hz range) and B: you don't push the box right back against a hard boundary like a wall, then rear mounted ports will work just exactly the same as front mounted.
One other thing that may explain them being less common on pro boxes - front mounted ports are easily kept behind the grille, so there's no danger of foreign objects getting in to them to either block them and make them less effective or even damage your cones inside the cab.
Cheers,
David.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Originally posted by Foca_Dacian Foca_Dacian wrote:

I have not studied the effects of putting the ports on the back of the cabinet.
I have ports on the back on my HS8 yamaha monitors,and they sound ok, but I have not seen any on pro audio tops.
Could you explain a bit about what happens in this case?

As long as A: the tuning frequency of the ports is sensibly low (ie not up in the hundreds of Hz range) and B: you don't push the box right back against a hard boundary like a wall, then rear mounted ports will work just exactly the same as front mounted.
One other thing that may explain them being less common on pro boxes - front mounted ports are easily kept behind the grille, so there's no danger of foreign objects getting in to them to either block them and make them less effective or even damage your cones inside the cab.
Cheers,
David.

they don't work EXACTLY the same - there is a path length difference between the driver and port output that can give a cancellation. or it can work fine - easily modeled in most software.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

they don't work EXACTLY the same - there is a path length difference between the driver and port output that can give a cancellation. or it can work fine - easily modeled in most software.

OK, technically correct, yes. (The best kind of correct, according to many... Wink)

Practically speaking, as long as the tuning frequency is reasonably low and the box isn't too deep, the extra phase shift will only be a small proportion of the wavelengths involved, so won't cause any actual cancellation.
For example, a 500mm deep box tuned to 60 Hz - the box depth is only 0.087λ, therefore only 31.4o of phase shift.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Hope you don't mind but I snagged a copy when you posted way back when:

Haha, excellent.

I can update you that the mid-tops have just been prepared to go back into service after a couple of years off.  I blew a driver and it's taken me two years to get round to doing the recone!

The twin 18" pictured got cut into two singles and did many years service before finding a home in a local venue.
noviygera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noviygera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2021 at 6:38pm
What's the crossover between mid/high?
noviygera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noviygera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2021 at 6:40pm
for these...
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2021 at 6:58pm
Between de 12" and coax HF? Around 650Hz.
nojunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nojunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2021 at 9:49pm
read here: 
https://soundforums.net/community/threads/60-degree-diy-mid-hi-aka-pm60.12390/

Originally posted by noviygera noviygera wrote:

for these...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12