Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A sign of the times.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 3:42pm
Sad to read, but I think it is a mistake for anyone to assume they are indispensable in a role. Having said that it sounds like they just lost a huge amount of experience in a very short time which will be very difficult to recover from.

Of course new management often likes to do this. Senior engineers are expensive and are not afraid to speak their minds. Sometimes better to replace them with people who will kowtow to the new business vision (of shovelling shite).
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 6:32pm
It's called the race to the bottom. History shows that no company enjoys a reputation as a maker of cheap and cheerful products for very long. I suspect that's why Behringer has bought Lab Gruppen and Midas, to name but two. The clients of those brands wont put up with a posh badge on a cheap product.

I doubt Harman even make any JBL stuff themselves. Their pro speakers, AFAIK are made by the same company that makes Crown-badged amps; V-Tech in China and Hong Kong. One of the internal technical bulletins for the JBL EON speakers tells its engineers to check for signs of swarf when repairing a blow-up. 'We have instructed V-tech to pay attention to keeping the interior free from swarf' or words to that effect. Why a contract manufacturer like V-Tech needs telling they need to clean the swarf from their amp modules probably tells us alot about them.

I think it'll get worse before it gets better but, get better it must. There's nowhere left for cheap manufacturing to go!

Kevin

North Staffordshire

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I think it'll get worse before it gets better but, get better it must. There's nowhere left for cheap manufacturing to go!

Oh yes there is, North Korea. Lots of minerals too.  Messy times ahead.
It's everything, not everythink!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 10:07pm
Quote Oh yes there is, North Korea
Er, no. Not unless the cheese eating numpty gets usurped by someone who has a clue how to run a country, but he's got the place on lockdown. It's a national personality cult.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Quote Oh yes there is, North Korea
Er, no. Not unless the cheese eating numpty gets usurped by someone who has a clue how to run a country, but he's got the place on lockdown. It's a national personality cult.

OK, see you back here in 10 years. It's a gentleman's bet.

It's everything, not everythink!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:13pm
I didn't mean locale-wise. I meant quality. When you're at the bottom there's only one place to go.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 15 August 2017 at 11:13pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:17pm
Bloody hell, are people still going to be here in 10 years arguing over the decline of the industry?

"I remember when JBL still produced speakers in China! Good times! Bloody Central African Republic knock-offs!"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:27pm
At least the bass will be awesome
Kevin

North Staffordshire

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 11:48pm
" check for signs of swarf"

JBL had problems with that on certain products even years ago.

The K110 had a reject rate of over 90% in QC in the late 70's.

A friend of mine was running QC back then, and tried to get them to run a clean room line for that driver, no such luck.

You should hear some of his stories about some employees coming back from lunch, higher than a kite, and then using die-grinders to de-burr the flash on frames.
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12