Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What bins would go with punisher v2 cabs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighVelocitySounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What bins would go with punisher v2 cabs?
    Posted: 16 August 2017 at 5:05pm
Hi guys, looking into getting some info off you guys of what bass cabs would go with punisher v2s?? Been told by a few people that they only really work well by themselves but for some events would need a bit more height! Does anyone have punisher v2s and can help me out with a bit of info on them? thankyou :D
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 6:04pm
If you don't need more bandwidth, either high or low, just build some more Punishers.
No hassle with crossovers, phase, timing...
They work better in multiples anyway.
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 7:04pm
A stack of 6 will give you 1.5m in height. They're best in multiples of six as well
the midtops!
HighVelocitySounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighVelocitySounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 7:06pm
Thankyou guys, do you know what capacity a row of 6 would reach out to? I've heard some speculation that they're only really good inside and not so good for outdoor venues, have you guys ever used them outdoors and what sort of crowds would they reach out too?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 8:57pm
Not much lower than singles, but you get more output at that point so it feels deeper. You’ll be fine in all honesty, they have a good intensity and most people don’t really know what 30Hz is.
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:00pm
They're good in and out IMO. 6 will be good for a large crowd. Would cover 500 easily. I think a block of six will do 136db. Somewhere around that mark. We had a stack of 3 outsidw, run at half volume, and got noise complaints 5 miles away
the midtops!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2017 at 9:02pm
It's a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' question. The answer's different depending on who you ask and what they think 'reach out to' means, and on what music you'll usually be playing through them. 

It also depends just how high you want the fidelity to be when you're driving them at full tilt for a large audience. If you overspecify the system then you have more headroom.

What sort of size crowds are you reasonably expecting to cover, and how often do you expect it to be at the high end of that estimate? In cases when it's likely to be at or above the high end estimate, would you be likely to have enough notice to get more cabinets knocked up in time for the gig? 

I'm just saying this as people building their first large rig often overspecify their system for gigs of sizes they've never covered, and that they're not reasonably able to predict covering. By not going overboard on number of enclosures from the start you could put funds into higher quality drivers, better amps, monitors, mixers etc, that first of all would allow you to play louder with less enclosures, and secondly will give your system the sort of edge that would help you secure those bigger gigs in the first place.

Sorry if I'm being presumptive but your other posts on the forum are about budget Cerwin Vega midtops and an inquiry about some twin 15" reflex cabinets, and your username only shows up on a wedding services hire page. 

A stereo system of 6 per stack will go silly loud. 2000 people maybe? But again it could be more or less depending on your expectations and standards (and those of your audiences)

The issue people mention with Punishers is the bass extension doesn't go as low as some cabinets. Even in stacks of 6 there's not much below 40Hz. Indoors they'll go a bit lower. You really wouldn't expect any complaints at that performance, but if the 30-40Hz frequency band is vital to you there are better options. That's the only thing that makes them 'bad' outside, as far as I know.

Edit: lol, you wait 2 hours for an answer and three turn up at once.

Edited by Hemisphere - 16 August 2017 at 9:04pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 2:12am
Originally posted by munkey munkey wrote:

They're good in and out IMO. 6 will be good for a large crowd. Would cover 500 easily. I think a block of six will do 136db. Somewhere around that mark. We had a stack of 3 outsidw, run at half volume, and got noise complaints 5 miles away

Half volume leaves you only 3dB of headroom. Just saying, a lot of people make this sorta statement but forget it’s log not linear.
Brutus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 8:48am
We found out that the TW-audio BSX is a perfect 2x21 inch sub to combine with the Punisher.
edit: yup, they are huge.. expensive and heavy :D

Edited by Brutus - 18 August 2017 at 11:36am
HighVelocitySounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighVelocitySounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 10:21am
Wow guys thanks for your responses! Im pretty much a noob when it comes to rig talk so this post has helped me out a lot. At the minute ill be putting them in small city venues playing mostly drum & bass by the sounds of it 2/3 will be more than enough for those kind of venues i was just looking to get some more knowledge for the future if i wanted to start venturing outdoors with them! Unfortunately i haven't been able to hear punishers to there full potential, my rig partner who started high velocity unfortunately passed away over new year and he had 4 punishers but we never managed to get them out properly due to funds, those bastards are expensive to power etc.. but im carrying on the flag with them! Once again thanks for the response guys i've got all of the answers i was looking for now to find some more punishers! Thanks again :)
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by munkey munkey wrote:

Half volume leaves you only 3dB of headroom. Just saying, a lot of people make this sorta statement but forget it’s log not linear.

Poorley usesvEnglish/explanation. We ran about 250/300w a bin
the midtops!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2017 at 10:55am
So about -6dB? Maybe -5dB if you consider power compression. Acoustically -6dB is half volume but it's said that the ear perceives more like -10dB as half volume.
 Post Reply Post Reply