Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RCF L15P540 PLANS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RCF L15P540 PLANS
    Posted: 18 August 2017 at 10:36pm
Guys, can you tell me which would be the best enclosure of the RCFL15P540'S?
Thanks for your help!
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 6:24am
Hey. There is no general "best" for majority of speakers, such as yours. Depend on maxinizing usability for your case. It can go into about any enclosure you can imagine.... For sake of universality, I'd say bassreflex box, bandpass box, or tapped horn.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
rsant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 3:22pm
thanks, which Tapped Horn would you suggest? I know the build of a Tapped horn is more complicated,
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 4:00pm
Err, I don´t know. I don´t like recent known builts as MTH or THAM that much. I´d build one myself for lower bass extension. But it also gets better with stacks and more SPL. So while one piece won´t do , four or six will do. So it even depends on number of drivers one wants to use.
If I didn´t know, I´d pick my butt, and found somebody having THAM horns, good enaugh to show me. Mean Show you.... It´s worth the time and money to hear it with your own pair of ears, and then decide.

Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 4:29pm
Tapped horns don't need multiple stacks to gain low frequency extension.

They certainly benefit from it, but you can easily get away with just 1x tapped horn per side. 

For an easy tapped horn (ish) build, if you're feeling adventurous, Martinsson (designer of the THAM series) has just released plans for some tapped pipe quarter wave radiator designs, which have similarities to the THAM series, and although they're slightly larger, they're easy on the woodworking, with no angled cuts, just flat panels and one baffle with a driver cutout.

They seem to be 102dB/watt at 44Hz with one cabinet, peaking to 105.5dB/watt around 90Hz but you could either EQ that out or even avoid EQ by crossing them gently to a midtop.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2017 at 5:14pm
Of course. While there is some gain, it wasn´t the point to make on my side. It´s that with a stack, you get into SPLs, where you actually can ejoy some lower bass, even though it is attenuated compared to the rest of the band. You simply get enaugh SPL there. Works the same as Watts/people ratio issue. I.E. When you have 6000W audio and 600 people, for every listener, you can count 10W. But if there was single one wanting to have a fun, 10W for just that one person would not be enaugh. Same goes with SPL down there. With stacks, There is more bass felt for sure, so even less output down there compared to upper range, can be somehow tolerated. Works with any kind of box.

Roar? Yessss. I wonder about user experience, even thinking about building some to try.

rsant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2017 at 3:45pm
Thanks alot my friend, I will consider this
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 11:40am
 I have four L15P540's around and thinking what to do with them.  According to specs, these are not quite good for really low freq. Maybe down to 45Hz is okay?'

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 12:24pm
I have maybe two options now, Cubo 15 extended or HD15 for these drivers. Or is it waste of time? :D 
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 4:10pm
HD15 is rather a kickbin, Cubo 15 extended is quite good around 50Hz, but the perception is that it falls like rock under 50Hz or so. I´d try Cubo. You might be okay with it, and it will give you very good experience with this kind of box.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 8:22pm
CB 215+ large horn/HF.. its rather a midbass driver than a bass/sub driver..
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 9:41am
Thanks!
Yes, midbass driver it is mostly.. thats why I was thinking about HD15 for midbass/kick.  Not the best driver for HD, but according to specs should be okay I think.  
I have been told that Cubo works with large range of drivers so that's why it's one option as general a purpose stand alone bassbin(s). 

Somehow I dont like 15" as midrange driver, 12" is my favourite there. I have 4x RCF L12L750 drivers for that purpose and large 2" horns for highs, still no cabs tho.. 

And the last option is to sell these P540's and get some better drivers for bass only :)
These drivers are currently installed in 2x15 manifold/bassreflex, just not working properly. 

For lows, we allready have two hogs and one brutal 2x18 low-tuned bandpass. 

Edited by Tonskulus - 09 January 2018 at 9:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply