Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any good reading material (actual copy not online)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any good reading material (actual copy not online)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by genericpurpleturtle genericpurpleturtle wrote:

IainB did you get any of these? Were they good? What sort of knowledge level did they cater for?

I purchased the Sound Reinforcement book, never made it all the way through before it went missing (along with 2 1/4" drive and 1 1/2" drive ratchets) im sure my ghost is planning something Wink
If it ever turns up again I will give you a more detailed response, it was hard going but I did have a few lightbulb moments (but I still dont understand half of what goes on here lol)
Bomasz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bomasz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

hi
i started building my system and learning this craft a couple years ago, I wish i had read more manuals and less forums in the beginning.
i've read the yamaha, jbl and ev handbooks online and then bought real copies of Mc Carthy's sound system design and optimization and Dickason's cookbook.

You could start with ev and yamaha handbooks in pdf, they are quite simple and contain the basics about soundsystems.
the jbl soundsystem design refernce manual, still a free pdf, goes more into detail with physics and acoustics involved.
With this foundation you will be ready for the Mc Carthy book, even if it targets big scale operations it contains a lot of unvaluable infos, and he is very good at making difficult concepts easy to understand, and with a nerdy humor too.
The Dickason book goes very deep into closed, reflex and bandpass design principles and even trensducer building, and although it requires more math that i can handle, you still can get the principles even if you can't read every equation.

I'd be curious to read about Acoustics, i think Olson (?) is one of the authors to read, but i think it's still too math for me...

now is there something with the same authority as the Mc Carthy or the Dickason books, but about horn design?
I have been reading various papers by Don Keele and Others, but many are very old and some are surely outdated, and they are clearly aimed at fellow engineers so harder to get than the previously mentioned books for a non engineer like me.

Thank you guys very much for that post, now i'm going to read those books and manuals, before i start asking stupid quesitons on forum. I hope to build start of my system in a year, hopefully ill have enough time LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12