Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dmx led net lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dmx led net lights
    Posted: 30 August 2017 at 12:06am
Has anyone tried making dmx rgb led net lights?

I need to do six fairly large ones for a venue and wondered if anyone had any useful tips?
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 2:52am
Hire some colorweb?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 2:57am
Not the best video to show it off but here it is in action
https://youtu.be/2-PFlLNDuOA

It's getting a bit long in the tooth now, should be able to pick it up cheaply.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 3:07am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 8:36am
Im going to use it as a draped ceiling on a hall which is about 60 feet long and 25 wide.

Planning on using 6 or 8 nets.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 10:18am
Can recommend Colourweb but you're looking at at 120+ panels to cover that area which comes in at 12+ universes. If you're talking about making the net yourself then look towards WS2811/WS2812 systems, here is a 6 universe controller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DMX-512-Art-Net-sACN-6-universe-to-WS2811-WS2812-WS2813-WS2801-SK6812-SM16703-/221181172896?hash=item337f6cdca0:g:vkoAAOSw14xWLLOt , all you need next is the string and some PSU's (Alibaba is a good source, just check on reviews as some are pretty badly made) and some pixel mapping software.
blah blah blah blah blah......
dmx256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmx256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 11:26am
If you need any help.on ws2811 or ws2812 systems give me a shout.....I work with pixel led a lot and know the system well. Can also point you in the direction for decent controllers and free software to make it all run
Logic System XTA EAW MC2 Robe Anytronics Futurelight Trilite Tas and a wife....
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 2:35pm
It looks great but i think it does waaaaaaaay more than i want! I just wanted to be able to change the colour of the whole net rather than individual pixels.

I dont think i have time to get to grips with that as well as sort everything else for the event.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2017 at 11:47pm
So if you don't need pixel control colourweb is still a good option, you just feed one universe of rgb control into all the psu's. Can still do twinkly things and due to the modular nature of the panels you can build into the exact shape you want. 2 hours of prep would get you a tour worthy system. Plus it has loops for scaff bars built in, so whatever rigging system you use you can support it easily. A custom build would be much more effort and time, and therefore cost.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

A custom build would be much more effort and time, and therefore cost.

I wish i had understood this before embarking on this....

Its 10x19meters and has 3w rbg leds in each lantern.

took forever to make and program but blew the attendees away!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 1:40am
Does look great though. Part of the reason I love what I do is I get to build complex systems that are resilient enough to tour for months on end, and simple enough to build in the limited time frames given. One of my faves from a few years ago was 109 “squirrel cage” pendants at the roundhouse for a Keaton Henson gig, we only had a couple of hours to install the system.
https://youtu.be/SXe3Cjb3jXc
https://youtu.be/nu_TVU9Uycw
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 1:29pm
While mine (which has been known as skynet for the last couple of months for obvious reasons) was for a specific event not touring the issue was weight. Whole thing came in at 30kg including the lanterns!
 Post Reply Post Reply