Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TO GOOD TO BE TRUE?? Chinese CVR D-Series Amplifie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TO GOOD TO BE TRUE?? Chinese CVR D-Series Amplifie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2020 at 12:10pm
I never run 2 ohm loads unless its absolutely necessary (on non powersoft amps). 8 scoops on one amp has never been my thing. The scoops rarely go out (are not rider friendly) 
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

In the States, the CVR D-3002 has already proven itself as a solid performer by guys doing trucks. It is safer owning something reliable than, playing Russian Roulette on a new model that, would not be loud enough for the human ear to detect.

The experience in Jamaica has been slightly different with a lot of sounds expressing dissatisfaction with the way the D-3002 plays. This is from a sonic point of view not power capability. Many people are expressing the view that it's under performing under 50hz. But at the same time complaining that they are burning speakers. A lot of sound systems are hoping these "problems" will be "fixed" by the upgrade.

I may be being cynical here but I have a strong belief that the only real difference is the badge. 
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 1:33am
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

In the States, the CVR D-3002 has already proven itself as a solid performer by guys doing trucks. It is safer owning something reliable than, playing Russian Roulette on a new model that, would not be loud enough for the human ear to detect.

The experience in Jamaica has been slightly different with a lot of sounds expressing dissatisfaction with the way the D-3002 plays. This is from a sonic point of view not power capability. Many people are expressing the view that it's under performing under 50hz. But at the same time complaining that they are burning speakers. A lot of sound systems are hoping these "problems" will be "fixed" by the upgrade.

I may be being cynical here but I have a strong belief that the only real difference is the badge. 

It sounds like a combination of operator error and, poor judgement from CVR.

I remember when these amplifiers first came on the market. The first question came to mind was, where are the Clip Indicators. It was only when an American Company selling DJ Equipment decided to re-brand the four channel version, I had the opportunity to download the Manual.

It appears CVR offered a multicoloured LED to detect signal and clipping. Unfortunately, the clip indicator is not red.

I would guess those who are “burning speakers” are clipping the amplifier unknowingly.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 3:42pm
Elliot, I own 3 and the clip is red, overheat is Orange/Amber (may be updated).
As to the burn speaker myth, most of these sounds speakers were low in avg power handling, not tuned properly from start, and/ or got into bad habits that didn't translate when they graduate to higher power.

When I was learning the craft, you were taught to have a plan, buy speakers and then amps.
Nowadays, man have no plan, buy DBX expander & Audio Control Richter Scale first, "ca sound haffi clap!"

Edited by taurusty - 24 October 2020 at 3:47pm
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by taurusty taurusty wrote:

As to the burn speaker myth, most of these sounds speakers were low in avg power handling, not tuned properly from start, and/ or got into bad habits that didn't translate when they graduate to higher power.

When I was learning the craft, you were taught to have a plan, buy speakers and then amps.
Nowadays, man have no plan, buy DBX expander & Audio Control Richter Scale first, "ca sound haffi clap!"

Tbf tho Trev, the "clapping" is in the upper frequencies whereas the problem I'm aware of is in the bass frequencies. What's your take on the perceived under performance below 50hz?
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 5:34pm
I can't see how these canadians and double t18's play much under 50hz anyway. Got below 50 cranked on the richter scale, cabs becoming unloaded, amps running in clip all right. Even those qsc blue lines that guys live by, when they clip whats on the other end is toast. Recipe for disaster I say.....
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 8:37pm
You not noticed any problems with the amp's ability to deliver sub 50hz then Obi?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 10:22pm

As I do not on any CVR amplifiers, I can only go what the manual states for the four channel amplifier. As far as the four channel amplifier states, clipping is yellow (1% THD = Clipping) whereas Red means protection. I have no clue what that means (Red= Protection) from CVR's definition.

I am surprised many are still using the Audio Control Richter Scale more so, the dbx Expander! I have retired my expander once digital audio became a standard. The Audio Control Richter Scale always offered a strong emphasis on low bass which, is not needed for nowadays music. It is like using the dbx 120X for modern music = waste of time.

Possibly, they are using it for older music (Far East, Answer, Sleng Teng, etc.) why they feel the need to use the Richter Scale.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 24 October 2020 at 10:24pm
Elliot Thompson
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 1:05am

Tbf tho Trev, the "clapping" is in the upper frequencies whereas the problem I'm aware of is in the bass frequencies. What's your take on the perceived under performance below 50hz?

Ya I noticed it, compared to my Lab 14000's. and the tone!?!! Still working on it....
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 1:33am

You not noticed any problems with the amp's ability to deliver sub 50hz then Obi?

Field test next week weather permitting. They still in the box at the moment....
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 3:25am

Ya I noticed it, compared to my Lab 14000's. and the tone!?!! Still working on it....

Here are the frequency bandwidths of the Powersoft K20 and Lab Gruppen FP 14000. I acquired these graphs years ago on Prosoundweb. The CVR 3002 (Powersoft K20 copy) should fall within or below concordance of the Powersoft K 20.

As you can see, the Lab Gruppen maintains a flatter response from 2 Hz – 100 Hz in comparison to the Powersoft. Add the HPF that many use in the equation, you can expect the roll-off curvature to be steeper on the Powersoft K20 more so on the CVR 3002 than the Lab Gruppen.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 25 October 2020 at 3:29am
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456