Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What size sub?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size sub?
    Posted: 31 August 2017 at 12:07pm
Hi
So far my rig is:
dbx 223XS crossover
Into Yamaha P3500S into 18 Sound ND1460 and
Yamaha P5000s into 18 Sound 15W700
All run in stereo.
I'm thinking of adding this sub to the system:
http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_18_dual_subwoofer_kit.pdf
Questions:
Has anyone out there built these?
Will it be too big? (Although I'm not sure if you can have too much sub bass! )
What amps would be ideal to drive them?

Oh I play mostly reggae and dub.
Thanks for helping out a newbie!!!
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 1:16pm
A chap in Norway has indeed built them and posted about them here: https://soundforums.net/forum/low-earth-orbit/diy-audio/205627-18-sound-design.

The recommended amp is a Powersoft K10, which is very expensive and should easily be able to get one of these 218's louder than both your 15's as they are powered at the moment.

You may be able to use a smaller amp if you don't meed massive headroom in the low end.

That said, if when you used the word "them" in relation to the 218, you mean you're planning on running one 218 per 15, then they should easily outrun the 15's even on a more modest amp.

Edit: You will also need to upgrade your crossover to a 3way unit, and you'd probably benefit from a digital DSP type. The Behringer DCX2496 is often considered the best entry point into that category, though there are better (more £££) units out there. If you do go with a big boy amp like the K10, there's a version of that with onboard DSP so you might not need the external unit unless you also wanted the benefit of having more control of the processing for your 15's & 1.4's too.

Regards,
David.

Edited by DMorison - 01 September 2017 at 1:22pm
Moppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 12:39pm
Thanks for the info David. Had a good look at the Norway plans. Thank you.

The Powersoft K10 looks great. But sadly my funds don't stretch that far.

My thoughts were to run the 218s along side the 15's. But thinking about that further perhaps I'm using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut?

Yes an amp with DSP would aid control you're right.

Hmmm think I need to think about this a bit more.

But very big thank you for your help.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 1:11pm
One 218 in mono alongside a pair of 15" midtops would be a perfectly reasonable match, one per side would be overkill, and definitely no need for the K10.

If you're on a budget and want the wattage, and especially if you haven't got a DSP yet, have a look at the Behringer iNuke NU6000DSP. 422 Euros for 6000w of lightweight class D with DSP would give you plenty of juice and protection for the subs. 

Some have reported reliability issues, as often happens with Behringer products, but Powersoft aren't without their share of problems in early builds either. Many report surprisingly good quality for bass duty, not so good for high end.

Still might be overkill for what you need right now though. Are you running 4ohm or 8ohm midtops? If they're only getting like 500w each from the amp then even the 6000w iNuke may be overkill. You could get an NU3000dsp for 289 euros and that should be a good match. 1500w into each 18" sub and 500w into each midwoofer. Think about more expensive amps if/when the system is bigger.

You might not even need the DSP version as it's not much of a risk driving those 1800w AES drivers with 1500w each (so long as you've got a high-pass somewhere in the system, excursion may go off the charts down low)

Edited by Hemisphere - 02 September 2017 at 1:15pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Moppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 2:26pm
Hiya

Yup. I was thinking of one 218 in mono would do right now. I think the NU6000DSP would fit the budget and the power output would be plenty for where I am now.

And yes I am running 8Ohms. So I agree the above would give me more than (or too much!) power.

Think that might be the way to go forwards.

Many thanks
Moppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:36am
Thanks for everyones help!

The 218 has been built and matched to an inuke 6000dsp.

The results are amazing for the money spent.
 Post Reply Post Reply